Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New mum needs help please  (Read 6418 times)

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
Re: New mum needs help please
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 09:22:54 am »
Six months is about right, although I find it's often easier to separate earlier both physically and because I like to get the pigs settled into family/friendship groups as soon as possible. But I've never heard of pigs becoming sexually mature at three months.

And we name all our Saddlebacks except the ones we sell as weaners. Names just pop into my head anyway and I believe it makes the whole experience of pig-keeping more enjoyable. Yes, it hurts every time I take pigs to slaughter, but it would hurt anyway.

Good luck with Colin and the girls.

nealeholl

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 04:00:39 pm »
I named two of ours Crackling and Sausage. THis gallows humour didn't go down so well with the "female contingent" - so they're now Talulah and Lola.

Cushy

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 11:13:15 am »
hi all, very interested in reading all your posts. I am just now starting to look into pig keeping. I don't know much about the rules and regs from the govt. perspective. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

any advice much appreciated  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS