Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suggestions please - Dylan refusing milk  (Read 4038 times)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
Suggestions please - Dylan refusing milk
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:10:32 am »
Dylan, one of my orphans has suddenly decided he doesn't want his bottle.  He is 19 days old and was thriving until a couple of days ago enthusiastically taking a total of 1 litre milk over 24 hours.  He was one of quads so is quite small.  He has taken less and less with each feed over the last two days and this morning refused altogether whilst his little peers went into their usual frenzy.  He has fresh water, soft hay and lamb creep on offer and they have a grass run attached to their housing so can come and go as they please although he is quite lethargic and chooses not to charge around with the others. He doesn't appear to have a temperature when compared with his brother who is absolutely fine.  His poo is formed and looks healthy and he is peeing well.
I am at a loss to know what to do next and fear I will lose him.  Would value opinions please.  Thank you. ???
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Re: Suggestions please - Dylan refusing milk
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:43:43 am »
Wish I could offer some advice but it's a realm I dont know. I really hope someone comes along soon and helps on this. Sounds like he's fading fast. Some lambs are quieter than others just by nature, sheep vary in nature as much as humans do.
I wish you success with getting him up and running again.  :bouquet:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:56:47 am »
Don't know much about sheep only pigs but check his mouth/throat for any obstructions thats stopping him want to suck, feel him all over he hasn't injured himself in any way? not bloated by hay or creep?
Other than that keep him warm & dry and maybe try syringing milk into him?
Hope hes up and about and back to his normal self soon, one of the sheepy peeps will sure to be along soon. THinking of you
Mandy  :pig:

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 12:01:44 pm »
Thanks Pedwardine for your support.  Dylan has not normally been the quiet one of the bunch and thats why I have noticed a difference.
Have just given him 150ml of energaid in an attempt to get some calories in and he took that surprisingly well.  Mandy, we checked his mouth when all this began but could not see anything untoward.  His belly does seem a little more rounded than his brother but he is tucked up from behind so this is pushing everything forward.  None of them seem to be even attempting the creep even though it is on offer and the hay isn't going down much either.  Like I said, they have access to a run with grass so do you think he could have overindulged and is suffering the consequences as he doesn't seem interested in that anymore either.
I'm feeling a little more optimistic since initially posting my thread as he took the energaid well.  He's snuggled up with little Mavis under the heat lamp now with a relatively full belly, albeit not milk.  Fingers crossed.  :sheep:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:23:13 pm »
better news, keep up the energy stuff if you can slightly warm might help, if your weather has been anything like ours he may have just got a chill, lambs aren't waterproof until they're older so i understand and can feel the cold if its mizzle drizzle damp and cold which it is here today!
Fingers crossed he perks up.
mandy  :pig:

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 12:58:56 pm »
I'd suggest a course of alamycin or some other tetracyclin based antibiotic (tetracyclin based antibiotics get into the gut where penecillin based ones don't). I'd also give the whole group the course because if he is not well then there is a good chance all his mates will have the same bug due to the close proximity that orphan lambs keep to each other. If you have some penecillin it won't hert to give him a course o that as well just to cover all the bases. Keep him warm and give him a little time. he may need a few days of energaid before he gets straight again.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:01:50 pm »
Try adding live yoghurt to his milk (or energaid it that's what he'll take at the moment'. It helps add the right sort of bugs to the stomachs, so if he's got a bit of bloat, which is not uncommon in orphan lambs it should help. I think the rate is an 8oz pot to 2 litres lamb milk.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 03:00:42 pm »
Dylan got a little worse yesterday morning with a bloaty tummy and refused all attempts to feed with anything just wanting to curl up under the heat lamp.  Got some live yoghurt (thanks Jaykay) and gripe water to try.  He took a small feed of energaid and yoghurt followed by syringed gripe water yesterday afternoon and then again at evening feed.  Not looked back since.  Bloat going down and he is back on milk though gently does it.  At this morning's feed he was back to his enthusiastic little self though still having a little gripe water after each feed as I'm not feeling we are quite out of the woods just yet.  Will also top up with live yoghurt periodically. 
Thanks for your support everyone.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 04:40:40 pm »
Excellent, good to hear he's improving  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS