Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wood burners and pumped plumbing systems  (Read 52621 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Wood burners and pumped plumbing systems
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 02:32:09 pm »
hee hee we have a 21.5kw woodburner....:-))) the room isnt huge either (altho the fireplace is and it is also a range cooker and back boiler water heater..)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 04:25:59 pm »
ive got 13kw in the living room and 7kw in the kitchen
but no insulation apart from 2ft thick walls. however at least now ive just about finished re-roofing the porch, that bit at least is insulated!

robbiegrant

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cupar. North East Fife
  • The Mighty Kroshka!
    • Exclusive Luxury Holiday Villa for Rent in Goa
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 10:25:02 pm »
If it gets too hot...or too cold... you can always move into the porch!  :roflanim:
Cupar weather http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=cupar
Goa weather http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/43192.html
Escape to paradise - http://www.vaastuvillagoa.com

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy ;)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 11:42:31 am »
Insulation - now you are talking. Our log burner runs 9 radiators in a stone built house with 1 meter thick walls. Some of the pipes that feed the radiators leave the house and run through the attached barn before coming back in on the first floor. Our water comes in to the house thru the barn and the pig stye at the other end of the barn. Todays job ( and I keep putting it off) is to insulate the radiator pipes and the cold water pipe that runs at head height along the wall above the chickens and pigs.
We have a mass of insulation in our attic bedroom roof and on it's 3 outside walls but left a feature wall that backs onto the barn. I put in double glazed windows in other rooms but no wall insulation unless I dry line the walls and fill with insulation.
Fire is on now so I will be able to check how well I insulate the radiator pipes - soon  >:( .
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 01:39:38 pm »
If it gets too hot...or too cold... you can always move into the porch!  :roflanim:
My parents did say they expected the stove to be roaring and us to be sitting outside in a pool of melted snow :-DDD
We got such a large one as the fireplace is huuuge - a flat arch inglenook type that is nearly the width of the room, so it needed something in proportion....

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 03:47:11 pm »
Hello,

When last I went to insulating  pipes from the boiler room out there in the barn leading into and out of the house, I chose to build an enclosure and stuff it plumb full with wool, a good natural insulation material. A lid on there closes it all up tight too.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 04:07:59 pm »
Theres been a lot on renewable forums about sheepwool insulation (even that treated and put in by companies) being infested/consumed by moths. Has yours been in a long time and have you had any mothy problems at all?

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 04:44:54 pm »
Hello,
It's admittedly been a concern from the beginning, which is why I went so far as to rinse it in a borax solution before going any further. Till now, and that's some two and a half years coming up about this time, I have not had any problems even with my untreated left-overs out there. In fact, it's a funny thing because I was straightening up just today and inspected a gunny sac full of some of that wool I was saving up and everything is aye ok. In one section of the floor  insulated with that stuff I even went so far as dumping cedar wood saw dust over the insulation to keep moths out. I don't know even if that was necessary now but it sure smells pleasant with your nose right down there.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 08:09:24 pm »
The €40K was only for the boiler replacement. The rest of the system was already there but in a very poor state of repair. They have asked me to sort the problems but in France I need to be licensed to operate. So I'll leave my tools in the UK and carry on with the chicken stuff then!

Aardvarker

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 09:20:41 pm »
Plz excuse if I've mis-interpreted, does this  thread provide a solution to the vented / un-vented mating problem?

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=29769.0

:sunshine: :farmer:

Chicken George 1

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 07:48:06 am »
We have just read Chris Mahon's comments on his neighbours heating system. We know his neighbour and his comments are not the truth about the heating system! It is a top quality German boiler and like most wood burners is not the prettiest thing on the planet. That is why it is in a boiler room. The cost was NOT €40,000 but €14,000. It was installed by highly professional tradesman. It is nothing like a combi boiler! As a combi boiler does not have water storage facilities. As a so called plumber he should check his facts. It does not have to have the wood cut to a certain length, width , etc. It hasn't got a feed system, you place the logs in the boiler the normal way, by hand. The expansion vessel is large, as it is a safety device for a large system.  The so called complicated servicing is clean the boiler flu and chimney, once a year, as with any other wood burner! It is not rocket science burning wood. He was not asked to repair any of the system, but to install 2 rads. in the existing system. No repair work as there was nothing to repair on the system!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS