Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying weaned lambs for October/November Slaughter  (Read 3494 times)

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
Buying weaned lambs for October/November Slaughter
« on: May 28, 2012, 02:47:41 pm »
Hi,

We have a spare acre of grassland and are thinking of getting some lambs.

I have struggled to find answers to some of my questions and hope the community can help?

Our plot is only secured for a further year (we are looking to extend) but if we don't we do not want to get in a long term flock.

I wondered if any one buys in weaned lambs for slaughter in October / November rather than breeding themselves?

This would  allow our plot to get some use with plenty of time to recover.

If so how many should we look at getting for our plot, and do we need an older hand to be present to keep them in order?

Many Thanks

Chris
Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Buying weaned lambs for October/November Slaughter
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 04:17:48 pm »
You could certainly do that. How many you have would depend on how long you want to keep them for. I might have some you can have born Apr, weaned end aug. If you wanted to sell the finished lambs, however, your margins would be slim.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:14:56 pm »
Hi SteveHants

I'm also looking for two or three lambs for similar reasons. How many do you think you will have available?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:42:33 pm »
From that batch...40 odd. From my later lambing batch (weaned Sept) similar numbers. Will be ram lambs, entire which should suit you if you intend to have them slaughtered. I will, of course have ewes to sell too, but I would have thought for those purposes, rams would do you fine.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 11:01:47 pm »
That's good! :)  Can I PM you  to discuss further?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 11:09:18 pm »
Certainly can...  :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS