Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: disbudding afteraffects...  (Read 7248 times)

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
disbudding afteraffects...
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:33:26 pm »
Just a quick questioin - has my goats disbudded 2 weeks ago now and last night one had a large amount of puss oozing from the outer edge of where it was done, so i wiped it away and sprayed it to help it heal, looks ok today but another patch looks to be comming on the same side. her sister also this evening has had the same thing, so done the same again. is this usual??? youre advice would be greatly appreciated!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: disbudding afteraffects...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:38:26 pm »
not usual in my (limited) experience, sounds like a mild infection.

may need ABs? if it doesn't clear, its abit near the brain to be left imho :/
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 11:48:53 pm »
Might be worth having a chat with the vet if yours is like mine and happy to give advice on the phone.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 06:26:38 am »
Definitely very abnormal......... get them to the VET asap.......  any infection in  this area is very dangerous,  can lead to meninigitis quite quickly.

There are 2 possible causes,   skull has been breached or dirty equipment used by the Vet.   The hot iron normally completely cauterises the area... prevents bleeding by sealing the blood vessels & eliminates infection.
Clearly this has not happened.

When a goat is dehorned.. proper horn... there is a hole left to the sinuses.  Now this will weep a honey coloured liquid.... which is normal !... for 2 or 3 weeks.  This liquid seals over the hole and in about 6 weeks the goat's head is relatively normal.

For your kids to have any discharge..... there has to be infection or the skull has been breached.

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 09:23:01 am »
thank you for youre help :)~ ive been to the vets and they gave me ab's the dont look too happy but feeding well..im changing vets!!!!

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 10:18:53 am »
This sounds like infection - probably minor local infection rather than meningitis etc - but I don't think will have been caused by dirty equipment. The burning process will be as good at killing bacteria as it is at killing the goats tissue. It may have been in part due to operator error eg burning for too long, but it may be just bad luck as I am sure this will be a relatively common complication. If you burn a hole in your scalp it will leave a portal for infection to enter and of course goats will tend to be in dirtier places than a human and more likely to get wound contamination.
The equivalent in humans would I suppose be to burn off a finger or toenail - burning of big toenail beds to treat ingrown toenail is done with a chemical however - and is not near to the brain. These do get infected sometimes.
Sounds sore but I don't think it is. Nevertheless I would not be too keen to have it done.

This from Liverpool university:

Disbudding / De-horning goats – Vet-Only procedure
The removal of the horn buds in goat kids, and/or the removal of horns from adult goats is a procedure which can only be carried out by a veterinary surgeon in the UK. The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons considers the act of disbudding to be a mutilation, and as such requires serious thought before being undertaken, but it is accepted that for management and welfare reasons it is often necessary in larger goat enterprises.
As the horn bud grows extremely rapidly in goat kids they should be disbudded between 2-7days old, and must only be done by a vet with the kids under general anaesthesia +/- local nerve blocks. Goat kids have very thin skulls and disbudding carried out by an untrained operative can easily cause irreparable damage to the brain, either by direct heat transfer damage, or by facilitating the entry of bacteria into the skull leading to a potentially fatal meningitis.

It is perfectly normal for goat kids to be a little off colour for a few days after being disbudded, but they should be closely monitored for signs which may suggest complications, eg nervous signs such as a head tilt, vacant expression, fitting, or an inability to interact with their environments.

Adult horns can be removed, but it is a much more stressful event for the goat than removing the smaller horn buds early in life. Typically the goat would be anaesthetised and given local anaesthetic nerve blocks before having the horns removed by a length of cutting wire.

In all cases tetanus prophylaxis is recommended

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:20:19 am »
According to my OH who had both big toes done, it is painful especially when it gets infected.  He could hardly walk.

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:25:27 pm »
thank you guys - they seem to be fine now, just quite red around the edge, which i assume is normal :) ill just keeo an eye on things and see how they are. the vet was very suprised, and agreed its not the usual thing to happen!! i think i will change vets as the one only a little further are specially good with goats :)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 10:50:29 pm »
Thanks all for the info, good to know what to expect and watch for.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS