Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: doing tags  (Read 1228 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
doing tags
« on: May 09, 2012, 08:20:14 pm »
got to ear tag my 7 kks for slaughter any day now.... i guess i chuck a pile of feed down and be quick with the tags... i can see that might work but i have 2 slightly more nervous ones, the type you cant get a tape measure round...any tips... a crush would be handy but i dont have one

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: doing tags
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 08:25:50 pm »
I usually tag mine the night before they go off.  If there are a few of them I put a bit of food down on the floor in a line and as they are eating tag them.

They don't usually notice at all, some might just shake their head afterwards.  So don't worry about the nervous ones, they will probably be the ones that don't even notice.

Good luck.  Let us know how you get on.   :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 09:39:26 pm »
I must admit I don't like tagging, but when I have to I do them whilst they are eating; don't leave it till the last moment as it will just add to your stress of having to do it with no time in hand.  Having said that, I agree with Julie and they really don't notice.  I have recently got a slap marker and find this the easy option and the pigs don't seem concerned about that either.
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 09:43:55 pm »
I usually do them as they're following the scattered feed up the ramp into the trailer. Shut the door behind them and off we go.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS