Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poisoning advice, ewe in trouble  (Read 18176 times)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Poisoning advice, ewe in trouble
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 09:34:56 pm »
  She had been sick before we got to her but can't tell what it is - green slime.

If the sheep was ACTUALLY vomiting (not just cud spilling and dribbling copiously) it was probably rhodedendron. This is just about the only thing that will make sheep vomit. They do foam at the mouth in the early stages and it can be confused with pneumonia initially.

If the sheep is dead, cut it's rumen open and see what is inside. If it was some kind of plant poisoning you should be able to identify it from undigested leaves in the rumen contents.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

toaster

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 11:09:27 pm »
Could it maybe have been something else? any chicken feed accessible maybe or fence preserver, wrong type of mineral lick or bucket lick. I always thought that most livestock instinctively know what is safe to eat and what isnt

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 11:44:32 pm »
Just wanted to say how grateful I am for this post and particularly to Woollyval in highlighting the rhubarb issue. I've realised I have rhubarb accessible to ewes and lambs should fencing fail and they get out. Will now securely cordon off the area first thing tomorrow. So sorry Goosepimple about your girl.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 09:10:41 am »
Thanks again.  There is no rhode plants or related plants we can see, have hunted under bushes etc, goats licks are only put in their house at night and taken out in the morning so they have no access to them and we have been super careful in the feeding as the NRs get different food.  We ruled out the rhubarb as it is almost definately caterpillar/slug munching.  We will keep looking today.  Not into cutting open animals I'm afraid, there is a place fairly near which does autopsy but I am sure they need the carcas to be 'fresh' and as its bank holiday weekend we may have to rule that one out.
Thanks you all, its great to have words of comfort from you, really is.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 12:23:21 pm »
I m very sorry to hear of your loss, perhaps the damage was already done before you got here, please dont beat yourself up, you did your best.   :bouquet:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 04:45:19 pm »
  She had been sick before we got to her but can't tell what it is - green slime.

If the sheep was ACTUALLY vomiting (not just cud spilling and dribbling copiously) it was probably rhodedendron. This is just about the only thing that will make sheep vomit. They do foam at the mouth in the early stages and it can be confused with pneumonia initially.

If the sheep is dead, cut it's rumen open and see what is inside. If it was some kind of plant poisoning you should be able to identify it from undigested leaves in the rumen contents.

VSS you got me thinking and we all went out and had an extensive look again today and look what I found, a spindly struggling 6inches high rhodedendron, in a rocky area under some dead grass and a large branch of dead broom but popping its heads through enough to kill my lovely young ewe.  We could see fresh looking munch marks on the leaves.  Can't believe this little specimen did it, we looked further and didn't find any more.  What a horrible death for her.  If there is anything to learn from this it is that there is no point in taking even the smallest risk with pasture.  Also an important lesson I think is not to assume that all animals of the same species eat the same things /ignore the same things, different breeds bring different characteristics.  A very tough lesson for us which will stick with us for a long time.
Our remaining girl has managed to make friends with the moorits and soays today.  Thank you everyone.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 04:52:22 pm »
sorry, wrong pic, that's me looking &%$£! off about finding it.  Here's the culprit and another of our remaining girl befriending the other girls.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 06:26:41 pm »
Well done on finding it! Sorry about what happened though....! Your land looks acidic (gorse) I'd keep an eye out for more rhody.....it loves land like that  :(
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 07:00:45 pm »
Oh really, that's useful to know, my eyes are peeled  :o

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 09:16:37 pm »
So sorry to hear about your lovely girl - my thoughts are with you. Glad you found the culprit though.
4 pet sheep

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 08:10:39 pm »
So sorry to hear of your loss. I've just been through the same thing - but my Ewes pulled through.

Rhody was the culprit and that plant is now gone.

We used sweet black tea cooled, syringed down the throat - every hour. The tannins in the tea absorb the toxins or so I was told. We also used strong black sweet coffee - to give them an energy kick. It all sounds too simple but it worked the vet gave us 50/50.

Sheep eat Rhodys - its a common cause of poisoning. More palatable when their is a frost.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS