Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Back from Brittany  (Read 1214 times)

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
Back from Brittany
« on: June 20, 2012, 11:23:29 am »
Where I have just been for our annual holiday. It's the first time I've been to France and what struck me was the total lack of animals. I saw one herd of Holsteins on the journey from Roscoff to Benodet and about five horses. The vast majority of the fields were empty of anything except grass or artichokes. The fields weren't fenced either. There didn't also seem to be any wildlife as I only saw one roadkill. I was wondering if this was normal. Do they keep their livestock inside most of the time? What's happened to the wildlife? As soon as we got back into the UK on the M5 out of Plymouth I saw loads of sparrowhawks, buzzards etc. It was strange being somewhere with so few animals.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Back from Brittany
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:28:09 am »
Yes, the animals are inside barns.  Very little road kill for two reasons a) they shoot anything that moves - so very little left and b) they have good road cleaning systems  ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 11:29:51 am »
Did you travel on Brittany ferries by any chance too? we did last week, was like white water rafting in the 82mph winds  ;)

We were in Spain and saw lots of cattle and goats but no sheep, no wildlife to speak of though. Can't speak for France but maybe they keep their stock in during certain seasons to rest land/ avoid worms, don't know!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 01:25:38 pm »
Yes we did go by Brittany Ferries but both crossings were really calm. The weather turned nasty as we disembarked in Roscoff.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS