Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orphan poorly - help!  (Read 3074 times)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
Orphan poorly - help!
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:49:35 am »
Adopted 3 orphan lambs Saturday morning and one is not doing so well as the others.  One was orphaned at birth and doing brilliantly (he is a week old) and two were taken off mum as she had quads and couldn't feed them all.  They were on her for a few days though so got colostrum initially (they are 5/6 days old but quite small).  One of them has taken well to bottle and substitute milk whilst the other one struggles to stay latched to the bottle and looses interest half way through feeding.  This isn't my main problem with him though as I have increased frequency of feed for him.  I am mainly worried about his bowels.  He is straining to pooh and groans whilst he tries.  He excretes very small amounts of scour - mustard coloured and runny but only a few drops.  I have cleaned his bottom so there is definitely no external blockage and rub him as his mother would to encourage him to pooh but nothing seems to be working.  Getting worried for him now.  Can anyone suggest anything I can try?
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: Orphan poorly - help!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:05:24 am »
Vet ASAP.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:21:43 am »
Is the opening of the anus the normal size? Sometimes it doesn't open fully in which case the vet will need to open it up. You mentioned there is no external blockage but can you feel whether the poo is building up inside and just can't get out through the opening?

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:40:31 am »
Thanks for the advice.  Isn't it just typical that after I posted I went to feed him and he poohed normally afterwards.  Panic over but will keep close eye on him and if it happens again will follow advice.  :thumbsup:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:42:38 am »
Always the way   ;D
Pleased it's good news though.
Hope he does well.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:49:14 am »
Thank you Haylo-peapod.  ;D

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:47:34 am »
Hope he goes on the same way.  Fingers crossed

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:25:01 pm »
Hi Luckylady
Yellow is the normal colour for lamb poo and believe me they do groan and sonmetimes bleat a lot when passing poo if they are taking too much milk it can pass into the second stomach and give them a tummy ache then they do scour a bit and feel sorry for themselves. keep up the good work every lamb is different just like kids really.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 04:34:05 pm »
Thanks feldar, that is reassuring.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS