Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Effluent and flood plain  (Read 2688 times)

knight_family

• Joined Apr 2012
  • south Littleton
Effluent and flood plain
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:47:58 pm »
Hi,

Been speaking to our local feed merchant / country store / all knowing person, and he has raised 1 or 2 points.

1. Pig Effluent
        a. How are we going to deal with it. My thinking is that there on open ground and should not be an issue as the small amount will be absorb within the soil.
        b. Being close to a flood plain (not in extreme flood but close) and having a small brook that runs a long the field, which will be about 35 to 40 meters away will I have to do any thing or plan for emergency?

2. Smell
             The field I'm looking to rent from the council backs on to 16 houses one of which is mine, but he also asked the question how to I plan to control it? Any thoughts again with only 4 max pigs I think it should never be a problem as there 160 meters away from the house but what about the garden?

Pointers or help would help.

robert waddell

Re: Effluent and flood plain
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 02:14:46 pm »
pig effluent is a problem in intensive reared systems     unless you are in a high rainfall area that slopes to a river or stream there should not be a problem
smell we smell how do dogs find us when we are lost     again  it is intensive reared systems that could be refer ed to   wash them then they wont smell horses smell sheep smell cows smell poultry absolutely stink in a warm day        but all smells can be avoided it the animals and fowl are kept clean and looked after properly
personally (having never met this joker)   what he does not know is not worth knowing   and what he does know you could write on the back of a postage stamp ;) :D :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 02:19:06 pm »
Agree with Robert your 'all knowing' person is talking out of his ................. and refers to commercial requirements.
4 little weaners aren't going to cause a lot of effluent, clear it up and make a compost bin.
Re your stream the only thing i would have in place is a place for soemwhere to move your pigs if severe flooding was a likliehood to endanger welfare of your pigs.
4 little pigs will hardly smell unless they shiting on peoples back door steps!
Get a grip.
Mandy  :pig:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 02:22:55 pm by Fowgill Farm »

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 03:00:16 pm »
another bad day Mandy chill out relax if it were not for bad luck pig breeders would have no luck :D :farmer:

knight_family

• Joined Apr 2012
  • south Littleton
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 03:17:28 pm »
Well thanks all, being honest he was ex council etc etc. and he asked questions I had not thought about.

The field is on a slight slope but as long as I level it out / bank it were the pigs are then it should be fine.

With reference to the pigs in case of extreme flooding like in 2007 then I have my veg plot were they could go.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 05:20:44 pm »
another bad day Mandy chill out relax if it were not for bad luck pig breeders would have no luck :D :farmer:

crap week, poorly piglet died and we don't know why or what of. touch wood no signs in other pigs, OH has been playing up and i'm off to hospital tomorrow to have my spinal block done which is just as well coz its giving me rotten pain which makes me very grumpy!
Mandy :pig:

redborneschoolfarm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 07:11:51 pm »
You don't need to worry too much but don't stack manure or anything up into a heap just allow it to work into the ground. If you form a heap you must follow the waste regulations that state: It cannot be within 50m of well or borehole, within 10m of surface water (that stream for example) or most importantly on land likely to become flooded or waterlogged. I doubt 4 little pigs would make enough waste to need collecting

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 12:31:50 pm »
There are some jumped up little hitlers out there, who actually get a kick out of belittling others, your man well ex council man seems to be one of them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS