Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chick crumbs - with or without Coccidiostat?  (Read 6098 times)

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
Chick crumbs - with or without Coccidiostat?
« on: April 29, 2012, 02:13:50 pm »
If all goes well we might have 11 chicks in 13 days, should we buy chick crumbs - with or without Coccidiostat?
Will we need 5kg or 20kg?
Can you recommend a seller?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Chick crumbs - with or without Coccidiostat?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 03:07:41 pm »
Personal preference really with the ACS in the crumb. It certainly won't do any harm. Unless you feed it to waterfowl as it will kill them apparently. Don't buy a big bag unless you intend to hatch more chicks.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 03:12:51 pm »
Our farm supply shop split a bag into wee bags so you could just buy a small amount - perhaps you could suggest this to them if they haven't done it, you'll just end up throwing it out.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 03:22:15 pm »
Dobson and Horrell do a 5Kg bag. We buy without for all chicks reared inside up to 6 weeks. We buy with ACS for chicks outside under a broody. ACS limits their growth rate significantly. After 6 weeks they are more resistant to Coccidiosis and if they are strongest and healthy our theory was they would be OK. We haven't lost any to it yet Katog.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 04:08:27 pm »
ACS limits their growth rate significantly

Do they remain small or catch up eventually?

We have started ours on ACS as they are outside with a broody. We bought a big bag as our local store didn't do small ones with ACS. However, they seem to be getting through it at a fair rate.

It's also an incentive to hatch more chicks so the remainder doesn't go to waste :D :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 05:09:20 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 05:03:32 pm »
I prefer to buy in smaller bags, even though we potentially have lots of things hatch...
it keeps fresher, and is easier to carry upstairs to where the brooder is (front bedroom - we have 4 cats!)
Little Blue

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 05:43:52 pm »
They certainly do catch up eventually Suziequeue. The ACS chicks at 10-12 weeks are about the same size as the without chicks at 8 weeks. The chicks under a broody do seem to grow their legs proportionately more than their body as well. The broody chicks though lack social skills because mummy sorted out all the squabbles. We introduced two 12 week olds into a machine hatched and rearered group of 8 weekers. They were terrified of them and wouldn't leave the coop except to dash out for food and water when the others were distracted. They were separated in the end and when finally let out at 26 weeks or so they could beat up allcomers of the same age and I think it was because their legs were stronger. So they had certainly caught up size wise. They did lay about 4 weeks later than the others though -could be co-incidence.

kegs

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 06:16:17 pm »
I'd be happier if an expert can confirm this but... it's my understanding that chicks can still catch Coccidiosis even if they have the ACS in the crumb.  Cocci can be treated with Coxoid in their drinking water but only if they haven't previously been eating the crumb with ACS, and clean everything with Bio-oo-cyst disinfectant.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 06:26:43 pm »
ACS keeps on top of the number of coccidia without killing them, which is what you want. The birds will develop their own immunity to coccidia but need not to get too many too soon as this is when they get ill.

If you need to actually treat an ill bird, don't bother with Coxoid, use Baycox instead. Coxoid is a coccidiostat only -stops the growth but doesn't kill them, Baycox is a coccidiocide - kills them. And yes, in these circumstances, disinfecting things to reduce the number of oocysts about is a good plan.

Personally I prefer my chicks to have ACS feed, having nearly lost one set of youngsters to coccidia some time ago.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:29:03 pm by jaykay »

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 08:59:47 pm »
I've used chick crumb with and without and can't say I've noticed any difference in growth rates. In fact the chicks we have now are growing very well with ACS in their feed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS