Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Self harming duck  (Read 5472 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Self harming duck
« on: April 18, 2009, 09:12:47 am »
One of my Aylesbury girls from last year has been loosing her feathers around either side of her chest. Some days it looks worse than others and to be honest I put it down at first to an over amarous drake but then I thought the drake just holds onto the back of her neck. Anyway yesterday I got the vet out to check on it. The feathers are not being plucked from her but instead are broken stubs, I can't remember the vets exact words as we had so much going on yesterday with Darcy but it does look as though she is "self harming". The vet did suggest trying to give her medication but again with all what was going on with Darcy she forgot to give me it but I will get it later.

Has any one heard of anything like this before or have any advice? She is a happy and quiet wee girl.

James

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Self harming duck
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 11:54:55 pm »
Maybe your drake is just a tad too amorous for her ;)  you could try separating her for a while if you haven't already done so
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:06:53 am »
Could be stress

dannyonthefarm

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Biddulph Moor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:41:27 am »
She could be being picked on by the other ducks or could be stress.  I had a Campbell that looked similar to what you are describing. I separated her from the other duck by making her a small pen were she could still see the other ducks. Her condition did improve but every time I put her back with the other duck the same thing happed

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:23:39 pm »
Thanks, I think I have now found a home for 3 of my boys so we will see if this helps her. The vet is giving me something to give her to try as well. She runs about with the boys all the time and seems not to be disturbed by them.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 06:02:59 pm »
Since I re homed 3 of my Kakhi Campbell Drakes this wee girl has improved so much so it safe to say that she was getting pestered too much from the boys. No more broken feathers and very soon she will look normal again.

:&> :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 07:59:59 pm »
Glad to hear that, James.  I am really looking forward to coming up with Sandy for her ducklings - I'm bagging first place everyone!(after Steve that is! ;))  If we have 7 we can go in my car, it's a 7 seater.  we can make a day of it and give James some trade by having lunch there too.  Mind you we will probably have to book inadvance from what I've heard ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 08:05:32 pm »
lol
I wana come too!!!!!
I thought Sandra had already been ? ME very confused give me a bell if you are going up sometimes
(btw tam is know saying i'll think about chickens , no longer to outright . NO) :chook: :chook:

Linz

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 08:21:14 pm »

(btw tam is know saying i'll think about chickens , no longer to outright . NO) :chook: :chook:

Linz
Keep working on him Linz - it's really hard to say no to a pregnant woman, take full advantage while you can  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 09:44:11 pm »
Linz, sandy has been to see them but will be going back up to collect them in a  few weeks. Anybody know how soon they can be sexed - she really needs two girls.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 11:13:37 pm »
Other Sexing Methods
Step 1Listen to the ducks' voices at one month of age. Females will have a loud quack; males have a softer cluck.

Step 2Check the ducks' tail feathers when they are two months old. The males will have a distinct curled feather at the tips of their tails that will be present even if they have molted for the summer.

Step 3Look for extravagant plumage. Males of the mallard-type northern duck species have brightly colored feathers in the winter, but beware: they molt in the summer, adopting a more feminine appearance.

Annie, have just lifted this off the internet so it looks as though they have to be a month old at the earliest before we can sex them. Fingers crossed they are all girls!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 11:52:45 pm »
I knew about the tail feathers and the voices, but not how old or rather how young you could tell.  I think Sandy should have girls for the eggs but she may not mind.  I would hatch some of mine but I ended up with an imbalance last time - too many drakes for my girls, like you had before, and they were getting pestered.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 09:03:00 am »
I started off with 2 Drakes and they were tame and mental. They used to come in  the house and sit at the Patio Doors all night when it was too cold (they had a cover to sit on to protect the flooring). They had no problems with the rabbits or dogs and all got along nicely. One died when he was 9 yrs old and the other refused to eat or take part in life. We could not allow this to happen as he would die himself so we went and bought him a girlfriend. He and Millie got on instantly and within 2 minutes of introducing them he was away eating and was happy again. Sounds daft but that's true, we still have Millie but George died last year aged 12!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS