Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Earthing up spuds  (Read 2464 times)

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
Earthing up spuds
« on: May 18, 2012, 11:18:15 am »
Mine are just comming through now. Should I cover them with another layer of soil? Or wait and pack soil around the stems leaving the leaves sticking out?

I tried the later last year and it worked (sort of) as the slugs seemed to enjoy the gaps around the stems too much.....slug patrol has started every evening (Duck treats)

I planted each spud in a fairly deep hole , back filling to cover, and plan to have it the other way round by the time they are done.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Earthing up spuds
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 07:02:57 pm »
I wait til mine are a few inches above the soil then use a draw hoe or rake to gently pull the soil up the stems (whilst standing on the opposite side of the row, then I go round the other side to do the second side), leaving the leaves poking out of the top.  I repeat this whenever there is a bit of stalk showing, until I can't get between the rows.  Normally I don't cover the leaves, unless there is a frost forecast when I make the ridge so it comes above the leaves.  This is by drawing up the soil, not piling it on top which could break the stems  :spud: :spud: :spud:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 05:05:37 pm »
I usually draw up around the stems and spare the leaves BUT we had a frost a few days ago and the leaves got burnt. New growth is coming up and save for the black burnt leaves they seem to be recovering. Good tip from fleecewife to earth up ovet the leaves rather than search for protective cloth against the frost.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 05:57:29 pm »
Ta muchly...I was doing it right then.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 07:58:37 pm »
Mel - have you had a warm spell ? I see southern D has been hot.
Are you picking anything yet?
we have 24 lettuce already to eat so have it for breakfast  ;D
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 12:33:26 pm »
salad leaves and two head of letuce (I cheated and bought a few plants for the first 5)  And the first lot of radish are all ready...OH doesnt like them so Ive only had a few.....A couple of beans are through but I think the seed tray area got too hot YES HOT for them Ill have to re sow in the beds!

We had a few days of around 10 but today its early 20's again with a strong breeze...We are so far East that we often get Polands weather rather than Germanys.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS