Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cleaning dried scoured bottoms and legs  (Read 5665 times)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
Cleaning dried scoured bottoms and legs
« on: May 04, 2012, 04:52:16 pm »
Can anyone give me tips for the safest and most effective methods of cleaning up my little orphan lambs bottoms and legs of dried on poo?  Thank you.  :)
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Cleaning dried scoured bottoms and legs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 04:58:12 pm »
Warm mild-soapy water and a J-cloth.  And waterproofs!

Then dry them as much as you can with a towel.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 05:00:18 pm »
Looks like you are going to be living up to your name, Lucky lady  ;D ;D  It depends on how poopy they are really.  Big dags can be clipped off with normal daggers, being very careful not to pull on the dags as this tents the skin and makes cutting the lamb almost inevitable.  If the dags are very close to the skin, you can slowly and carefully trim off those you can get to with scissors (we use those on a swiss army knife - tiny but not pointed, and usually in my OH's pocket anyway.  I say 'we' - I hold the front end while he deals with the stinky end  ;) :D)
Once you have trimmed off as much as is safe, you get a big bucket of warm soapy water plus a sponge and a comb and start washing  :).  If the dags are dried, you will need to use the comb either dry or plus water to get everything off.
Great fun - I don't mind because I get to talk to the lambies  :sheep: :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 05:35:11 pm »
I kind of thought this was how I could tackle it though was a little worried whether soapy water would strip oils so needed advice first.  Thats a job for tomorrow.  Now where did I put those waterproofs?  ;D ;D 
My OH doesn't carry anything particularly useful in his pockets!!!!!  ::)  He doesn't do the grotty jobs with the animals - its down to me and my gem of a daughter.  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 07:32:20 pm »
Hammer and Chisel ??  ;D

No seriously, fortunately lamb pooh can be like cow pats, firm on the outside but soggy in the middle
so it will loosen with warm water and soap. However be warned,  when a lamb is wet it shakes.
In this case it means you'll get covered in liquinure , as I can vouch.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 08:31:50 pm »
whether soapy water would strip oils ?  ;D ;D 
 its down to me and my gem of a daughter.  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
Use some of her nicest hair shampoo too!  Have plenty of old towels ready  ;D ;D

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:41:37 pm »
Oh done this often - some I've done have the decency to stand back legs in the bucket of warm soapy water while I face back end cleaning  - one lamb even kindly would let me dunk his whole rear end in the water - waterproof essential - smell lingers!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 11:40:39 pm »
Try bunging some vaseline on bottoms and down the back of the legs when lamby is dry. Helps prevent further stickage so to speak  :P

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS