Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching eggs wanted, Carnoustie or nearish to.  (Read 4821 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Hatching eggs wanted, Carnoustie or nearish to.
« on: April 30, 2012, 03:06:57 pm »
My lovely black Orpington hen has gone broody. I'd like to put some eggs under her, but would prefer pure breeds and we have commercial hybrid hens (apart from the broody). Also our cockerel, Hector, while being of impressive appearance, is rather aged (well, past it, I think).

I'd rather pick up than post, so anyone round about here able to help?

Thanks in advance

cooped-up

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Hatching eggs wanted, Carnoustie or nearish to.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:43:47 pm »
Hi we can keep you some welsummer eggs if you like or some little silver penciled wyandotte eggs. regards Emma                                                                                                                                                                     ps how are the leghorns doing?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 03:53:09 pm »
My lovely black Orpington hen has gone broody. I'd like to put some eggs under her, but would prefer pure breeds and we have commercial hybrid hens (apart from the broody). Also our cockerel, Hector, while being of impressive appearance, is rather aged (well, past it, I think).

I'd rather pick up than post, so anyone round about here able to help?

Thanks in advance
Ducks? ;) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 04:44:51 pm »
Hi we can keep you some welsummer eggs if you like or some little silver penciled wyandotte eggs. regards Emma                                                                                                                                                                     ps how are the leghorns doing?

Hi, Emma. Leghorns are fab!

Welsummer would be good - they dark egg layers?

Annie - Kind offer, but the Boss says no. ;D

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 04:49:51 pm »

Hi, Emma. Leghorns are fab!

Welsummer would be good - they dark egg layers?

Annie - Kind offer, but the Boss says no. ;D

Oh pishaw. What the boss doesn't know won't hurt him. Just come out with that classic line "Oh these old things? I've had them ages and ages"
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:03:01 pm »
i think the sudden appearance of ducks in the chicken pens would be a bit hard to hide!!!

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:49:13 pm »
Nah, just baffle him with some old flannel. Like "these are a new breed of aquatic chicken"  :&>
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

cooped-up

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:59:50 pm »
Yes, they are nice dark eggs and the hens are pretty too if you are going to Fife show we'll have one there, glad to hear the leghorns are doing well, ours are egg laying machines :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 07:51:16 pm »
Yes, they are nice dark eggs and the hens are pretty too if you are going to Fife show we'll have one there, glad to hear the leghorns are doing well, ours are egg laying machines :)

I'll email you.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:53:28 pm by Rosemary »

allyb

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 08:19:42 pm »
Hi Rosemary we have speckled and light Sussex and going to Thainstone on Sat if interested Thanks

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 10:14:47 pm »
Nah, just baffle him with some old flannel. Like "these are a new breed of aquatic chicken"  :&>

He'd have to not be reading the forum for that to work though...  ::) :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 10:17:28 pm »
we could de-quack them  ;) and take the webs off  ;)  Come on, Dan - you know she want soem ducky wuckys.  And they really are lovely.  They are much more friendly than hens, will do ANYTHING for a bit of bread,a dn all you need is a kids rigid paddling pool - Lorna would love them too. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS