Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Wormer  (Read 11745 times)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Pig Wormer
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 06:21:38 pm »
Both Ivomectin (in its various tradenames) and Panacur only kill the worms that are present, neither are a preventative.

From memory the Panacur for sheep is a different strength, so you would need a pig one, and as others have said only does internal worms, not external mites/lice, although you should easily be able to see if you have external problems, so if using the pellets is easier then go for that - if you only have a few pigs it is fairly simple to poke a portion in something squashy eg pear and hand to the pig.

Only problem is that Panacur is I believe being withdrawn form sale due to lack of sales and high cost of Gov. licencing making it not worth well.  Not definate on that one, but someone told me I remember, though quite who I cannot remember  - oh to be young again!

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 11:16:50 am »
dorothy goes nuts when shes jabbed so i got the vet to do it. she went nuts wth him too, so he tied her by the teeth behind a gate. that worked as when they are tied by the teeth(a noose ober the upper jaw) they pull back and freeze.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 11:23:18 am »
But how did he get the noose over her upper jaw in the first place, I should like to know?   Often thought of trying it myself with pigs quite determined not to have jabs, but by then they are so uptight there is no way I can get close enough to get anything near their noses at all - Tamsaddle

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 09:50:17 am »
Buy a Masterject no such problems.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 10:09:15 am »
I have a Masterject too but it is useless for injections of 2 ml or less.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS