Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Small eggs  (Read 6347 times)

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
Small eggs
« on: April 14, 2012, 05:47:39 pm »
Hi all, we have 4 Swedish Blue ducks who have provided us with 3 eggs virtually every day since we got them, even through the worst weather, but for the past week we've not consistently had eggs although we are wondering if a rat may have carried a few off as we've seen one around  :( and then today we have got the smallest duck egg we've ever seen (smaller than a normal hens egg) and usually the duck eggs we get are huge.

Does anyone know why this could be, or if they are lacking in anything? They get a fab diet of grains, lots of different vegetables and then get to roam free gathering bugs and worms regularly, they also have grit and 2 ponds to play in, and a huge fox proof enclosure.

Any thoughts gratefully received as always  ;D

Blueeyes x

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Small eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 06:21:47 pm »
How long have they been laying for?

If they are like chickens  ??? they maybe getting ready to have a little rest from laying.

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 06:32:27 pm »
We inherited them from a guy who couldn't care for them anymore last September, they are approx a year old, and they have laid from the first day we got them and they were laying every day before that according to Dave (the previous owner), if they are having a rest then I'm happy with that as we've been so luckily with them laying so far, I just don't want them lacking in anything.

They are very happy little things and seem very healthy, they provide us with so much enjoyment esp when they are roaming free and were trying to garden with them helping  ::) I couldn't imagine them not being part of our family  ;D

Blueeyes x

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 06:54:06 pm »
moulting?
Little Blue

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 07:02:52 pm »
No they havnt moulted at all so far, they lose feathers a little but nothing unusual in fact they look gorgeous at the moment  ;D  they've grown lots in the last 6 months and are a lovely big size (usual for Swedish Blues I've read), they eat well and are very erm... active  ;) if you know what I mean, it's 1 boy to 3 girls.

Blueeyes x

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 07:45:55 pm »
Maybe someone will come along soon with ducky experience. Sorry ,only  kept chickens but we have odd small eggs if they are going out of lay for a rest/moult or when they come back into lay. Guessing they are similar. Rats will take eggs or so I am told.

Sounds like your ducks are fun to have around. My father has had Indian Runners and Campbells in the past. I am tempted as we have a brook running through our fields.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 07:55:01 pm »
If the egg is very small it may have no yolk Blueeyes. It will be a 'wind' or 'fart' egg with the white laid around some small piece of debris. We get them coming into or out of lay in hens. But our hen's laying is all over the place at the moment timing wise because the weather is so changeable. Yes big rats will steal your eggs and carry them off. We found a big pile of shells on the canal bank where the rats had taken the eggs from the nestbox.

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 08:43:57 pm »
Thanks for all your replies, we have just cracked the egg and yes chrismahon your right, no yolk! so it was a 'fart' egg  ;D  ;D  ;D it made us chuckle!!!

We know something's carried some off as we saw an egg on the woodchip (they lay all over) and then it was gone, we've filled in any small holes or burrows that have been formed under the chicken wire and made it secure with gravel/paving so hopefully that will stop the little buggers  :D

In the hills you should get some, the ducks are totally fab, I would have loads of them and am just trying to persuade my hubby to make more enclosures so I can have more  :D I'm not sure if mixing breeds is a good idea so thought maybe should keep them separate but I may be wrong  ???

Thanks again everyone

Blueeyes x

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 09:12:58 pm »
we've had the occasional tiny duck egg as described  ;D - usually at the start or end of the laying season. I put a pic up here once of the range of sizes in that one day - if I find it I'll put it up again  ;D :&>
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:32:56 pm by northfifeduckling »

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 08:52:23 am »
Wow northfifeduckling that's amazing, our tiny egg was about the size of your smallest, it makes us chuckle the different shapes we sometimes get as well, love my ducks tho, such different personalities and so much fun to keep ;D

Blueeyes x

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 05:05:40 pm »
I'd love some ducks but as 8 hens has grown to 14 and a cockeral I think it would be too much for hubby :D It'll take me a few years to work on him for a pony for the kids ;)
Just wanted to say that I think sometimes, with hens anyway, they molt and you hardly notice the loss of feathers just a drop in egg prodution for a while. Then they get back in the swing of things again. :wave:

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 06:10:11 pm »
Oh my hubby bought me and our daughter a miniature Shetland pony each for our birthdays last year  ;D they are fab and oh so cute, we got a mum and her foal, then I bought him sheep for our wedding anniversary as it was our wool year (7years), then the ducks arrived   :D so with our rabbit and cairn terrier were getting quite a collection of animals  ;D

It's all fun & games!

Blueeyes x

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:58:04 pm »
Blueeyes, that's deffinately my way of thinking. I would embrace a smallholding for my birthday anytime  ;D

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 10:53:55 pm »
 ;D Mammyshaz got to say the birthday presents of ponies was fab, the foal - Toffee was only 2weeks old & her Mum - Bumble is the sweetest pony ever, I can even see them in their field from my bedroom window, they wait at the fence to say good morning each day when I open my curtains!  ;D ;D

Blueeyes x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS