Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Compost bin advice please  (Read 8144 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: Compost bin advice please
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 07:42:23 am »
Thanks Plantoid - I have a little step next to my heap to stand on but avoid windy days. As for "out of view of public" - no worries there except that if I carry a bucket to the compost the cows come right over to see me.

Compost is so important for the smallholder and Gardner's trying to maximise good crops.
Plantoid is spot on with grass cuttings - I try and add just a little but then keep the rest (grass cuttings) separate but they are a problem for me - even tried making a little hay last year when it was hot.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 08:55:02 pm »
Mak you could try thinly sprinkling excess grass cuttings ( these are lawn grass mowings I'm talking about not hay stuff  ) over the veg beds and hope for drying weather ..  The worms will take them down easily enough once they have dried and are raked/hoed in.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 09:01:17 pm »
Yes i did that the other week when it was hot but the worms were 9 feet below because it was so dry - then the wind blew clumps of the hay over seed I had sown.
It's a good tip but I Say the above because it need to be damp and away from seed or seedlings.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

mistryer

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Dordogne, France
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 01:04:07 pm »
Fantastic advice, MAK - thank you
Plantoid, that is really useful, and thank you so much for the link. Certainly need a rethink on compost composition.
a smile a day, keeps the doldrums at bay :-)x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS