Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: efficiency at the petrol pump  (Read 5850 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
efficiency at the petrol pump
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:00:11 pm »
Forwarded from someone in the know (ie not me):

TIPS ON PUMPING PETROL 

My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every Litre.

Here at the Shell Pipeline where I work , we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period .. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 Litres.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the petrol, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your Petrol tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more Petrol you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. petrol storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the Petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a petrol truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy Petrol, DO NOT fill up; most likely the petrol is being stirred up as the Petrol is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: efficiency at the petrol pump
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:43:19 pm »
The temperature thing will make no difference as the tanks are buried in the ground and it will take ages for the temperature to rise or fall. The other things will make such little difference that you will never notice.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:19:33 pm »
Seen this list before Fleecewife. Pumps do temperature compensate to meet trading standards requirements. Evaporating fuel is now trapped to meet emissions and sent back to the tank. Fuel tanks being filled are out of use while water and dirt settles. Water is condensation of air and it builds up at the bottom.

If you keep your tank full you are wasting fuel carrying fuel!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:38:23 pm »
Seen this list before Fleecewife.

If you keep your tank full you are wasting fuel carrying fuel!

That's a point - and it is noticeable how much heavier a vehicle is with a full tank than an empty one.

The list is currently doing the rounds of the bike sites - I thought it was interesting if nothing else.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:56:09 pm »
yes it was on here before and discounted      running half a tank on a bike you will be stopping at every fuel station at 10 lbs a gallon a 20 gallon tank is 200 lbs not much on a vehicle that is over 3 tons :farmer:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:09:56 pm »
Oh well - I'll creep off with my tail between my legs then  ;D  :dunce:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:33:54 pm »
Oh well - I'll creep off with my tail between my legs then  ;D  :dunce:
Don't worry, I got taken in too - saw it on Facebook months ago and shared it only to be shot down in flames by numerous clever clogs. ::) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 11:45:43 pm »
i never fired a shot :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:43:05 am »
i never fired a shot :farmer:
No you just point the big guns and let others do your dirty work  ;) ;)   NOT!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS