Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New cattle owner requires Highland or similar  (Read 2635 times)

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
New cattle owner requires Highland or similar
« on: May 07, 2012, 06:36:18 pm »
new to cattle but im very interested, low maintainence highland or similair required,prefer calfs as they WILL be pets..breeding comes second!! Please mail me teegan01@msn.com or call 07837620853 thanks

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: New cattle owner requires Highland or similar
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:34:54 pm »
I'd recommend Shetlands 'cos that's we have. They are small, hardy, thrifty and docile. They are horned but the horns are much smaller than the Highland. They are quite rare - fewer than 750 breeding females - so unless you are getting bullocks as pets, I would encourage you to breed (with advice from the breed society about genetics) pure cattle.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: New cattle owner requires Highland or similar
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 07:49:24 pm »
 :wave:Whereabouts are you?
 Highlands are certainly low maintenance. Because they can survive on poor grazing, their digestive system is 30% more efficient than that of the "improved" breeds.
 They require no housing in winter. In fact they do not like being totally enclosed, although they will use an open building for shelter, so long as they can come and go at will.
 So they don't need concentrates or any extra feeding, but will happily overwinter on hay alone and produce a decent calf and sufficient milk for it.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS