Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: release the ducks  (Read 6989 times)

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
Re: release the ducks
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 03:35:29 pm »
again the age old battle of freedom versus protection.  just tell your ducks its for their own good and if they dont go to bed the fox will come and eat them. I just found out they understand english.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 03:37:42 pm »
I have 17 of the monsters to lock away at night. We have a "routine" which thay do know but some nights you get 3 or 4 in and by the time you round up the others the first few in are back out again - and this can go on and on and on and on ha ha ha. Generally though they are very well behaved and in the morning when they hear you going to let them "free" you get such a welcome from them.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 11:39:09 pm »
Hello,

Associate the driving of them into their housing with your instruction. You'll have them understanding within a week or so.
The chickens aren't as clever but they do go in of their own accord, they do understand "chook chook chook" as a call for food e.g. when any bread is thrown out of the house.

Cheers

Gavin

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 01:06:46 pm »
I agree with all of you talking to you birds. lol. Other animals learn to understand instructions, even if it's just the tone of your voice. I feed them in the morning with " come on then" and late lunchtime but will add an evening feed to get them back into their run. Then I tell them "up you go, and go to bed!", more or less successfully at the moment lol. :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 01:29:59 pm »
I talk to all the animals, they become part of my family.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 06:30:12 pm »
Last night I fooled them, they came around early to eat, then I got the dog to round them up and we got them in.  They sulked, then ate their dinner and were quite happy.  Today they are on hunger strike!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 09:11:11 pm »
I feed them slugs from a yogurt pot - I got some to take to them just before bedtime and they followed me to their pen seeing the container! See if it works tomorrow, lol :&>

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 05:58:14 pm »
Between  Hilary and the ducks there isnt a slug on the holding will try some bread for today

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 07:42:47 pm »
the amount of slugs this spring would feed your ducks too, HM. I don't recall ever having had that many! :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS