Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My first double yoker ...........................................  (Read 7152 times)

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: My first double yoker ...........................................
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 09:05:33 pm »
We got a HUGE double yolker last week ..poor girl!! It was double the size of the other eggs.

My "favourite" way to break eggs is to pop them in my jacket pockets whilst I finish doing the chicken chores ... and then lean against something .. YUK! I don't know how many times I've had to empty out a pocket full of raw egg, bits of old tissue, plant labels, half packets of seed, mud ......   :dunce:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 09:09:01 pm »
Google is a wonderful thing...

This is a frequent question asked on the Poultry Help Line Message Board

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION: Why does my hen lay double yolkers nearly every day.  I think this is not normal.
ANSWER: Nope.  It's not normal.  Double yolks are a "mistake" in the chicken's reproductive system that sometimes happens when a hen just starts laying eggs and her system is still trying to figure out how to do it correctly. It may also be hereditary. Looks like your hen falls in the latter category.

Here's some more info on other "Odd Eggs":

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 09:14:28 pm »
And guess who can't spell! :-*  :-*  Just goes to show a university education isn't everything  :o
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Helen

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 09:46:56 pm »
The occasional double yokers we've had have been big eggs, enough to make your eyes water!  I've crushed eggs in my jacket pocket too. Yuk :P

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 09:27:56 pm »
At least it gives me a reason to wash my (usually filthy!) gardening coat!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 08:11:25 am »
After all this talk you should have seen the size of egg I found this morning, god knows how she can pass something more than double the normal size. I did try and add a picture but this facility still isn't working. It did measure 9 cm. Ouch

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 11:15:48 am »
Wow, that is BIG! As lucky as they are to us - it must have hurt the poor thing. And now you don't have space in the incubator to prove or disprove our theories...
I think I remember reading somewhere that it might possibly have to do with the feed, if the hen or duck had too many pellets (if it happens a lot, the odd one is probably a normal oddity). A condition called egg binding (problems passing the egg) can also be caused by overfeeding on pellets. One of our girls had it twice last year and the poor thing was in so much pain, she could hardly walk. Reading up on it it said it is most likely a recurring condition and best to put her down! I then reduced the pellets and replaced the amount with extra wheat and barley or mixed corn and she's been fine since. :&>

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 02:53:41 pm »
On another forum that i visit someone posted a video found on youtube off someone who hatched 2 double yolkers. Both had 2 chicks although in one egg one of the chicks didn't develop fully and both sets of 'twins' needed help to get out of the shells. If i can find the link i will post it on here!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS