Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much for a lamb?  (Read 4540 times)

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
How much for a lamb?
« on: May 22, 2008, 03:50:14 pm »
Hi folks
a neighbouring farmer has offered me 4 orphan lambs at £18 each. I think they are a few weeks old and are being fed 4 times a day. I know milk is expensive to buy therefore I was wondering if you consider this to be a fair price or whether he has seen the I for idiot imprinted on my forehead and fancying his chances at making a quick buck. The idea was to fatten the up and slaughter for the freezer. I have plenty of grazing, so would also be great lawnmowers!

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
Re: How much for a lamb?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 05:42:40 pm »
Mine were free. I wouldn't pay more than a fiver.You're right, milk IS expensive!

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 10:26:43 pm »
If they are a few weeks old (ie 5+) then seems a good price to me as they could be weaned of the milk very quickly and maybe just given some creep feed in addition to grass

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:49:55 pm »
Thanks folk
Decided to go for it, the lambs are about 6 weeks old, seem to be strong and healthy, the farmer threw in a bag of creep feed too, they are on 3 x 500ml a day, do you think this sounds right (along with feed)
Jo

ranchergirl07

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 04:05:10 am »
Hey thats a deal!!!!!  I paid 15 for newborns

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:57:13 pm »
Orphand used to be a right pain to get a home found for......now they are selling at about a week old in our local market for over £20 each ::) ::) ::) :o :o :o.................so be assured you got a real bargain!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS