Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Age limit for stomach tubing  (Read 2430 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Age limit for stomach tubing
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:14:34 pm »
Does anyone know if there is there an age limit for when you can stomach tube a lamb?
I have a poorly 9 day old lamb that will scarcely suckle - can I tube him?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Age limit for stomach tubing
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 05:14:15 am »
Well, I've done it - I don't know if it's recommended or not, but my thinking was that lamb'll die if I don't get some fluids into it, so if the tubing kills it, it'll be no worse off.  I have pulled a few back from the brink this way - and lost some, too.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:04:43 am »
Thanks for that Sally.

I tried to stomach tube the little man but for one that has scarcely had any fluids in the last day or two (to my knowledge) he suddenly had a lot of fight in him and did not want to be stomach tubed.  He did however take a bit more milk this morning - possibly 30-40ml whereas normally I'd only manage to get him to take 10-20ml.

Then lo and behold a couple of hours later and he is now suckling from his mum. It's an absolute miracle, he's been so weak and pathetic and his temperature dropped to 32.5 and I was convinced we were going to lose him. I just about managed to keep him going with a heatlamp, a tiny bit of milk and some glucogel (as no opportunity to get rehydion/electrolytes as we are snowed in!) oh yes, and a shot of anti-biotics.

This all kicked off the day after his tail was ringed which he found very traumatic - surely this could not be a direct consequence?  I can only assume that the stress triggered something that must have been lurking already?

Anyhow, it's good news at the moment, just hope he doesn't relapse.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:36:57 am »
Fingers crossed he's over whatever was the problem.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:30:29 pm »
He's not a real sheep  ;D

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 02:41:00 pm »
what has done the job here is the antibiotics. Always a g ood idea for a weak lamb as they pick up infections so easily

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 06:53:54 pm »
We've had a couple of miraculous recoveries after antibiotics this year, too.  (And some that didn't rally, too.)  B-vits are supposed to be good for stimulating the appetite, so I usually try that (either Lamb Boost or similar, or Combivit jab) first, then a/bs if not improved.  Unless it's scouring, in which case I try electrolytes first and a/bs if improvement isn't fast enough.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 12:32:05 pm »
Well a quick update on our poorly little man (as Rosemary says he can't possibly be a sheep  ;D) - he is continuing to progress well and we haven't needed to intervene in the past 24 hours. He is now suckling well and looks as though he has started to put a bit more weight on.

Should the one lot of antibiotics be sufficient or might it be worth following up with another shot to prevent any relapse?

Sally thanks for your comments about the lamb boost multi-vits -  I am however (unrealistically) paranoid about using these as every time I have used them in the past I've lost the lamb.  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS