Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: induced lambing???  (Read 14238 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: induced lambing???
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 10:22:06 am »
Don't panic too much but give a 3ml shot of long acting antibiotic (5ml too much for a Ouessant) This is what I did and the ewe is ok. Luckily we have had 7 healthy lambs born afterwards with 7 more to lamb so even though we had one very much like yours its been ok touch wood  :bouquet:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 10:23:58 am »
 Look on  the bright side - you've got a ewe that's alive and will now have immunity to Schmallenberg, and you haven't had to pay for a caesarian. That to me is a pretty good outcome, considering that, in hind sight the lamb was never going to make it anyway.  :hshoe:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 10:37:26 am »
So sorry that you lost the lamb Kanisha, I just hope the ewe pulls through OK and you don't have any more with suspected SBV.

The labour symptoms now remind me of my very first year of lambing where one of my ewes went into labour a week early but gave up pushing after a while.  In the end the vet finally managed to get out a dead lamb presented traversely.

This lambing business brings with it many traumas but hopefully a greater amount of joy.  :bouquet:

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 11:39:24 am »
thanks everyone. The vet has been this morning sampled the ewe and taken the lamb etc for testing we'll see what the results are. Ewe has had antibiotics and I hope that she will go from strength to strength she looks better for getting rid of the lamb but is now calling for it  :'( I sincerely hope I don't have similar problems with dead lambs inside feldar I don't know how I would even know unless they start to give birth.

thanks for the positive thoughts  yes lambing sure is a rollercoaster
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 07:46:08 pm »
and the roller coaster continues... schmallenberg test is negative ouf! lamb was born without front legs and parrot mouthed so was it a one off? first live lamb with four legs born today and hes up an raring to go!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 08:13:37 pm »
What a little sweetie - hope all the rest lamb well and have good lambs - best of luck fingers crossed
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 08:47:04 pm »
Sorry about all your trouble .

This little lamb is beautiful.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 09:35:21 pm »
Congrats!!! :thumbsup:
We have 10 buzzing around now with 4 more to go! I have so many people wanting lambs I have a waiting list!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 06:45:23 am »
 :) thank you  :sheep: :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS