Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much DOES the weather affect lambing times??  (Read 10071 times)

montana

• Joined May 2011
Re: How much DOES the weather affect lambing times??
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 12:57:04 pm »
Our Jacobs were mostly on time,  with the exception of one big ewe who we thought was carrying triplets going by the size of her. Turned out to be 2 huge ram lambs  she lambed 5 days early  hate to think how big they would have been if she had gone full term. I had to assist as she was struggling to push them out.
Only waiting for 1 now due next week.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 08:52:37 pm »
Mine are very slow.....usually they all start and lamb within 3 weeks of each other but its been 11 days and 4 have lambed.....very different to usual.....but then again I used 4 rams and split them into 4 breeding groups this year...never done that before as usually have 1 ram working at a time :-\ Weird year weird weather  :-\
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 09:01:23 pm »
I'm beginning to think that lambing affects the weather not the other way around!

It's been dry, hot and sunny for weeks it seems. Now, when I start lambing, the cloud and rain come and they are talking about snow by the end of Mon  ::)

WV, I've got one or two now and then nothing for about 12 days too if my tupping records are right  :P

Muttley94

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 11:08:48 am »
Thanks jaykay I had the vet up to see to the horse's teeth so she put stitches in my prolapse ewe. She lambed on Friday night, so my first lambing was the one I was worried about. She had a huge boy and another followed but I couldn't get his head turned and even the vet struggled, he was so big. Unfortunately he died and now mum has no milk or interest in her first boy. How much milk should I be giving him and how often? He was left alone by mum and was cold and skinny so I have him in the hay shed and gave him 80ml then another 80ml about 3 hours later and so on. Is this ok? My Jacob also has a prolapse so has a harness on. Still waiting on the rest now :)
Pretty new to all this sheep-keeping :) tiny smallholder since October 2011 - 4 ewes, 30+ hens and a Jack Russell :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 11:22:43 am »
I feed them what they'll take, every 3 hours at this stage. Did he get some colostrum?

Mum will be bruised and sore, feeling a bit sorry for herself I guess. Have you tried giving him back to her? Bring them both into the hayshed, tie her up so she can't butt him, strip milk from each teat so you know they're working and then try to get him to feed - better if he's hungry at this point. As he begins to smell of her milk she is more likely to take him. So second best is to milk her and then feed him that for now.

Also, even if you're feeding him I'd see if she'll look after him, better to belong to someone once he's out in the field. Make a pen for them both and then make a corner for him, put him into a deep box or something so she can sniff him but not butt him.

Hopefully she'll take him back and they'll both feel better!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 05:21:15 pm »
I have found out the hard way and been told by experienced stock men never to breed from a ewe that has prolapsed, they are prone to it then. Either keep them from the ram at tupping or cull them is what I have been told and will do from now on.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 07:37:53 pm »
Well mine were due from today and some have udders like cows but so far NOTHING  ::).  Perhaps they are waiting for the cold weather ....
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Muttley94

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 08:18:11 pm »
Unfortunately both mum and lamb have died :( she died in her sleep in between times I checked on her. Vet said it was from an infection she may have picked up when she prolapsed but he wasn't sure. Lamb died from blood poisoning. Vet says it could have been caused from an infection possibly caught from mum's limited milk supply. Not the best of luck but I know it's not all like that, got to look to the remaining 4 ewes and however many lambs they have
Pretty new to all this sheep-keeping :) tiny smallholder since October 2011 - 4 ewes, 30+ hens and a Jack Russell :)

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 08:29:35 pm »
Very sorry to hear about the ewe and lamb  :(  hoping (and have fingers crossed) for some happy news from the other 4. 
Very new to this all.  (very) Smallholder since March 2011 

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

Muttley94

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 08:47:47 pm »
Thanks squeasy, hope the rest are easy enough but knowing sheep they will be awkward :) guess its just how things will be

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 09:58:41 pm »
Oh no, I'm so sorry  :-*

It's rare and I'm sure the rest will be fine  :)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 10:00:41 pm »
Really sorry.

Good luck with the rest.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS