Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: asparagus spears  (Read 9441 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
Re: asparagus spears
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 08:36:52 pm »
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 11:23:59 pm »
this thread got me to check mine and they are up. should be able to take a small amount this year.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 11:23:06 pm »
Boo Hoo ,my three year old crowns have not yet poked their heads above the three inches of mulch and sieved earth i put them to bed with in Novenber , but it should be very soon .

Unless my lass weeds the bed with scissors and decides it is the insidious mares / horse tail for they do look like it during the first few days of emergence. tail
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 03:31:45 pm »
just had the OH clean and deweed the bed and we found that all 20 corms are doing well. fed them and will mulch and wood chip them this weekend! so chuffed, we eat the first spear raw yesterday. great snap, sweet juicy and the flavour was divine!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 08:37:14 pm »
We planted 20 crowns this year (2 weeks ago to be precise) - followed the instructions sent with them (from Thompson and Morgan) so only going to look on in wonder this year...
We have had a couple of spears poking through so we covered them up carefully
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 08:51:05 pm »
We planted 20 crowns this year (2 weeks ago to be precise) - followed the instructions sent with them (from Thompson and Morgan) so only going to look on in wonder this year...
We have had a couple of spears poking through so we covered them up carefully
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

just be Patient, it will be rewarded!

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 07:41:26 pm »
had 3 raw spears this morning, 2 cuz they were ready and one little one that i stood on  :D

Mel

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 07:44:08 pm »
Aww,poor little spear  ;D :yum: Mine arrived from Marshalls today,I bought 20 crowns of Purple passion ;D

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 07:52:40 pm »
Aww,poor little spear  ;D :yum: Mine arrived from Marshalls today,I bought 20 crowns of Purple passion ;D

we are going to see what is about next week and lay another row.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 08:21:04 am »
this mornings offering

yum  :yum:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 01:25:35 pm »
got the first of the new ones poking up this morning, only went in 2 days ago. mate said to put the corms in a bucket and soak them in rain water for an hour or so and drain them and leave them in the bucket and plant the next day. seems to have worked a treat.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 01:28:22 pm »
seaweesd is supposed to be the best mulch, as asparagus is originally a coastal plant.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 01:32:56 pm »
seaweesd is supposed to be the best mulch, as asparagus is originally a coastal plant.

might have to drive the Lux to the seaside and bring some back! they are loving the 3 year old compost i am putting round them. i make loads of dashi for miso soup. i think i now have a use for the left over seaweed! nice one mate!
 :thumbsup:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 01:38:15 pm »
my little beauty!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS