Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: panting pregnant ewe - how long should I wait?  (Read 21222 times)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: panting pregnant ewe - how long should I wait?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 11:44:16 pm »
To be honest, I can't see the need to bring a Shetland indoors at night. Indoor lambing has its own associated problems, Id just let her get on with it.

I don't know anything about GFDs, but I am starting to notice the proliferation of threads on here about how they wont mother or need assistance lambing or.....

This could, of course, be because lots of people have them on here or they are not an easy breed to keep for whatever reason.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 07:51:34 am »
I agree. I'm going to let the shetlands get on with it outside. They are easy peezy compared to the gfds. They all have nice short clean fleece so lambs won't get confused with what to suckle on ;-)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 06:58:57 pm »
She has had a lamb at lunch time today! I am away on business tonight so haven't seen it but mum and lamb are in capable hands of my oh. She's going to wait and see if there is a twin coming as mummy was so massive. Thanks for all your reassurance and advice!

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 08:28:40 pm »
Well done  :trophy: nature took it's course in the end, good luck with the others

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 11:10:38 pm »
Hi Sally
The ketone-y smell. Is that the one I remember from A level chemisty that smells like pear drops, or is that something else?

How would you describe smell?

I think it would be the pear drops one, yes.  There's a thread somewhere where everyone discussed what it smelled like to them - and there was quite a variety!   :D  (I had a look but couldn't find the thread, I'm afraid.)

I think, when you smell it, you will know that's it.

Not everyone can pick up the ketone smell.

My son had ketosis when he developed type1 diabetes - the GP siad he reeked of ketones, but neither myself or my OH could detect it.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 09:06:56 am »
She has had a lamb at lunch time today!

Brilliant, pleased it all went well  :thumbsup:  :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS