Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerals in with hens!  (Read 6524 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: Cockerals in with hens!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 08:33:13 pm »
Phew, was having a panic there.

I've heard lots of people tell me that they, or someone they know, has incubated free range eggs (both duck and chicken) from delis, dobbies, fishmongers, butchers, places like that, and had hatchings. I've also never heard that eggs mustn't be refrigerated, surely that can't be a law?

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 08:41:26 pm »
Lovin' the replies! Thanks, I'll stop stressing about where and what 'Brian' gets up too. He is usually content to stay with his own 4 girls ;)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 08:56:48 pm »
Yes DBE, the last thing you want is a customer complaining that they cracked an egg open and there seemed to be a little chick inside.

I like folk who buy my eggs to find little chicks inside,  :thumbsup: but I prefer the chicks to crack open the shells  ;) :D :D
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 09:03:34 pm »
Phew, was having a panic there.

I've heard lots of people tell me that they, or someone they know, has incubated free range eggs (both duck and chicken) from delis, dobbies, fishmongers, butchers, places like that, and had hatchings. I've also never heard that eggs mustn't be refrigerated, surely that can't be a law?

Yup - once again I can't remember the link but here in the UK eggs must not be re-fridgerated before sale ( look in the supermarkets - they are never in the chiller ) but then the purchaser is recommended to store them in the fridge.

I would suspect that is because when an egg is chilled then moved to a warmer atmosphere it will tend to get condensation forming on the outside, and this can allow bacteria the chance to enter. 

Marans eggs, being so thick and shiny shelled are supposedly less susceptible to the entry of bacteria, and their contents tend to stay fresher longer as a result. 

Which was a useful quality on all those long sea voyages from Marans to London when we owned that bit of France   ;)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS