Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planting vegetables on land used by pigs  (Read 6341 times)

ChaseView

• Joined Mar 2012
    • Chase View Farm
Planting vegetables on land used by pigs
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:51:08 pm »
Hi,
Is it safe to plant vegetables (for human use) on land previously used to keep pigs? Our large blacks have done a great job turning over a bit of field and we'd like to plant on it in about 6 weeks. The pigs had worms when we we first got them so I am worried about eggs still being present in the soil. The pigs were on the land for 4 months and were moved off yesterday. Does anyone know how long we should leave the area before we can start planting? Many thanks.

HappyHippy

Re: Planting vegetables on land used by pigs
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 01:00:02 pm »
I don't think pig worms would affect your veggies  ;) but the pigs poo will still be a bit 'fresh' for growing root crops (carrots etc can fork with too much fertiliser) We normally move pigs out in autum/early winter and leave the ground til the following spring to plant (normally the frosts break it all down and it just needs a quick turn before planting) always tatties first for some reason too  ;D Probably because they grow pretty much anywhere and break up the soil as they grow and when harvested  :thumbsup:
HTH
Karen

ChaseView

• Joined Mar 2012
    • Chase View Farm
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 01:09:06 pm »
Hi Karen,
Thanks for your reply - it's really helpful. I guess I was more concerned about contaminating anything we grow with roundworm eggs and giving us humans worms! I trawled the internet and it seems that pig worms can infect humans and it can take up to 7 years for roundworm eggs to die in the soil. However, lots of people seem to use pigs as rotivators, so I'm really confused.... Is the risk so small most people don't worry? Or do people mainly use pigs as rotovators for vegetables not given to humans?

Thanks!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 02:38:24 pm »
If you wash and cook your veg correctly there should be no problem, gardeners and farmers have been adding animal manure to the earth for crops for as long as anyone can remember and that isn't kept for 7 years to mature only a year or so to rot so it will go into the land.
I do not add anything to my manure heap that has been produced by my animals for 4 weeks after I have wormed them that goes elsewhere to fertilise around hedge rows and flower beds (non edible) but this is a personal choice because of chemicals and not worms.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 03:00:59 pm »
What Ellisr said  ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 06:54:38 pm »
putting pumpkins / squash / courgettes where our pigs were, free fertiliser!
Little Blue

ChaseView

• Joined Mar 2012
    • Chase View Farm
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 08:17:56 am »
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the info - will just be extra thorough washing the veggies...  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS