Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cats and cones  (Read 2885 times)

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
Cats and cones
« on: March 12, 2012, 05:12:26 pm »
just got our two kittens back from being neuteured and they have to wear cones for 10 days until the stitches come out. Can anyone assure me they will get at least semi used to them? Within 2 mins of getting them out f the carry cage they'd worried them off. We've just spent a very stressful half hour trying to get them back on. They seem to be tight enough now (without choking them) but they are still not happy. They are eating though, so I guess that's a good sign.
With all the cats we've had before we've been lucky and they haven't needed surgery, so this cats and cones thing is new to us.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Cats and cones
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:14:22 pm »
The cone of shame is destined to be pulled off and abandoned as often as they can manage.

Well at least in my experience anyway!!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 05:54:03 pm »
I agree with bloomer.  Cats hate them and will do anything to get them off.
I've never had a cat yet that has just 'got used to them'

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 06:58:41 pm »
Never had a cat that stayed in them either.

The best thing I've done for keeping a cat from licking stitches is to make a 'vest' out of the softer, stretchier type of white ankle/knee tube bandage, cut leg holes to keep it in place.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:02:56 pm »
Never had a cat that stayed in them either.

The best thing I've done for keeping a cat from licking stitches is to make a 'vest' out of the softer, stretchier type of white ankle/knee tube bandage, cut leg holes to keep it in place.

hmmm, that sounds like a good idea. We shall give that a go.

Bangbang

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 07:28:19 pm »
I've had cats all my life and few none of them liked ' the cone of shame' (great phrase Bloomer!)
We have used Vet Wrap at times, mostly on leg/paw injuries, just make sure you get the tension right.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS