Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Front line for chickens  (Read 2626 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Front line for chickens
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:41:00 am »
Parasite season is very close if not already here. I've got my poultry shield and the stuff they dust bath in (can't remember the name of it right now) for mites and lice. What can I get for ticks? They will defiantly be a problem as the chickens will be running in and out of bracken all summer, where you can guarantee to find ticks. If I go nearer bracken I know I will be removing ticks from my legs when I get home. One of the down sides to living on Mull. there still not as bad as the bloody midgys. ;D 

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Front line for chickens
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:54:32 pm »
I would have thought they would eat the tick before getting bitten, but that might just be guinea fowl?
We haven't seen a tick in years since the gleanies started patrolling :thumbsup:
But I don't know what you can put on the chooks, sorry.
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 09:01:18 am »
Thanks Colliewoman.
 Wasn't sure if you could get or needed anything for chickens. :chook:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:49:13 am »
Hi Bert

I have never seen ticks on my hens but had the occasional one on my dog. I think it depends on the tick population, as it were , in your area. When we went to Exmoor last year our dog was constantly covered in the little blighters. We went to the vet there and he was treated with a spot on but they still attached and we bought a manual tick remover that did the job.

I dont think that frontline is licensed for use on chickens but vets may prescribe it. My hens had lice last year and none of the usual products cleared them. The vet gave me a product that I believe was for horses! It worked instantly! I think you may have to just keep an eye on them and seek help from the vet if you get a problem.

Do they carry Lymes Disease where you are? You should keep arms and legs covered if they do. It can be transmitted to people.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:03:56 am »
Morning in the hills
 I will have to keep an eye on my chickens. We front line the dog once a month or every 6 weeks because the ticks are that bad up here. As for the Lymes Disease it depends on which village gossip you listen to. Some say yes they do, others say no they don't. I think they all carry it, it just depends how many times you are bitten and how susceptible you are. ( I could be wrong, I am quite often! )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS