Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Four acres for wildlife  (Read 7306 times)

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
Four acres for wildlife
« on: November 21, 2011, 10:17:39 am »
I have 4 acres of land that are currently split into 4 paddocks. Due to work commitments I cannot keep any livestock as I am kept busy mon – fri during daylights hours.
I have considered letting the land to perhaps a horse owner but I think I would prefer to tailor the land to benefit the wildlife more.
The area is surrounded by woodland and I have some large ponds in place already. Any ideas of how to best manage these 4 acres (currently in grass) with wildlife in mind and also to avoid cutting grass all summer?

Cake and eat it springs to mind… but I thought I would at least get some opinions?
Thanks in advance
Metal Detectorist

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: Four acres for wildlife
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 09:13:43 am »
if go online, you should be able to finf your local BAP - biodiversity action plan, this should be able to give you some indications of what isues are being addressed in your area.

you may also be able to talk to your local council and they might be able to help you write your own action plan.

not much use

but its a rung in the ladder

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 09:02:09 am »
Thank you
Metal Detectorist

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 09:31:49 am »
What about your local wildlife trust? They'll be able to fill you in on what's local aswell
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:34:29 pm »
Hi Uppermillfarm- I have posted about an idea of mine for a low-inut management plan in the land-management section which might be Ok for wildlife... or some may say  the 'neglect plan'  :D I'm not sure if it would work but see what you think?  I'll probably be posting how to get rid of some awful weeds in the next few years  :D

cheers

tamejane

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 04:12:20 pm »
Do you have a sit-on lawnmower hehe

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 07:19:14 pm »
Hi UMF, pity you aren't in Central Scotland as that is a question that might be asked at the Land Management Course booked with Oatridge College.  At the moment we don't have enough 'takers' for it to go ahead, though.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 07:18:48 pm »
Do you have a sit-on lawnmower hehe

Sure do  :farmer:
Metal Detectorist

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 07:19:45 pm »
Hi UMF, pity you aren't in Central Scotland as that is a question that might be asked at the Land Management Course booked with Oatridge College.  At the moment we don't have enough 'takers' for it to go ahead, though.

Yes would certainly have considered this if I were closer !!
Metal Detectorist

Smalltime

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 11:16:29 am »
Trout Farm? Fairly easy, might need to work on the ponds a bit or join a few together. If you go down that route i can give you a bit of help with ideas - your main problem will be the otters that have been released everywhere... Grrrr...

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 11:27:46 am »
The ponds round here have low electric fencing round them to keep out otters and the like. people usually put a layer of old lino/carpet under the fence to stop grass growth and have three or four strands to about a foot high!

Smalltime

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 11:53:24 am »
Well I am bit biased as I am a keen angler but even so, otters are set to become a real problem in the future. They kill for fun and can take very big fish. They will decimate any lake in short order, and I do mean completely annihilate, before moving onto kill and eat whatever else is available...crayfish, anurans (frogs and toads), birds, invertebrates and small mammals...basically to become a farmers nightmare if he has poultry nearby.

They grow much larger than people seem to think and to keep them out you would need serious fencing, they will also dig like rabbits to get under it, its an expensive job to say the least and usually they will find a way into the lake if they want too. An adult otter needs to eat 20 per cent of its body weight in food every day - about 2.5kg (5.5 lb's). It will kill more than that. They will travel long distances overland and from river to river, lake to lake, in search of food.

Otters breed continuously and are likely to rear eight to ten young every year. Within five years there could be up to fifty more otters locally killing and eating everything that swims.

They basically became endangered because they were such a menace to fish stocks and I am afraid that is still the case. We do not have sufficient stocks for them to exist in the Uk for an infinite amount of time. Forty years of hard work and campaigning by anglers has seen us reach a level of sparkling water quality which is enviable across Europe. The Thames is in fact the cleanest 'big river' in Europe at this time. Wild salmon and trout rivers are currently flourishing.

To have finally reached more normal fish stock levels across the UK - decades of work - releasing hundreds of our most efficient predators into it seems little short of criminal to me. Otter populations will boom until, once again, they have bred like rats and eaten everything in sight - then the pattern will be repeated and they will decline.

I love wildife and otters are beautiful animals - but so are wolves and I don't want them released to roam the Scottish Moors either! I am afraid that I am with the Angling Trust and various other bodies who are on the side of proposing a cull for otters already. One chap I know has had his entire livliehood destroyed, twenty-five years of breeding quality and highly prized specimens, destroyed by a well-meaning but utterly ignorant do-gooder. His life is pretty much over in terms of work. In Scotland, I hear, the problem is already acute in some areas.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 05:36:42 pm »
well said.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS