Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best way to look after triplets?  (Read 13292 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Best way to look after triplets?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 07:00:17 am »
small, bony and mental
  :D best description of primitive sheep I've heard for a long time  :D

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 10:55:25 am »
when we went to barbados a BBS farmer joked that barbadian sheep cannot count !!  He told of us of tales of them having 4/5 lambs sometimes.  great breed, very lean, grand animals.   

umm yeah will it depends on the indiviudal ewe, we had two sets of trips last year (one due this year) and we found ewes very much did it all themselves, big hefty ewes tho, with udders like cows.   If that wasnt the case, we would otherwise supplementary feed or remove one (i m always happy to receive a molly lamb)  Or if you are adept at fostering thats another option.   Good luck, keep up her sugars !! :)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 12:49:24 pm »
....... we had a vet student with us, she had loads of big farm experience and worked the night shift; she got more than half the singles to take a second while the rest of us slept!

:o  Impressed!   :thumbsup:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 01:35:07 pm »
Just to let you all know, I'm giving them a topup feed from the bottle (I also gave them Colostrum on morning 1) and leaving them with mom (I can't be sure how much milk each is getting from mom).

For two/three feeds a day, can anyone advise how many ml I should getting getting into each lamb per feed - as it's a topup?

The smallest lamb is tiny and half the size of the biggest fella.

:sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:

allyb

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 05:23:18 pm »
We ve got Zwartbles scanned quads,triplets mostly so i imagine there will be a few pets topped up with bottle  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 06:43:04 pm »
For two/three feeds a day, can anyone advise how many ml I should getting getting into each lamb per feed - as it's a topup?

In a word, no!   :D  No lamb needs to be having a total of more than 1L of milk a day in total, a small lamb is probably getting plenty at 500-600 ml in total.  You can't know how much they are getting from mum, so I would have the foregoing figures as a maximum, and be happy if each lamb leaves each feed with a pleasantly rounded - but not over-distended - belly.

HTH!   :wave:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 11:36:44 pm »
Just to let you all know, I'm giving them a topup feed from the bottle (I also gave them Colostrum on morning 1) and leaving them with mom (I can't be sure how much milk each is getting from mom).

The smallest lamb is tiny and half the size of the biggest fella.

:sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:

You've got to let them get on with it sometime. Trips do differ in size. If they are all mothered up, Id be temped to turn em out. If you cant catch the lambs, hen they are weak enough to need topping up...

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 03:54:49 pm »
I keep Lleyns. Triplets are normal and the ewes have no problems rearing 3, as long as you feed the ewes.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS