Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First timer lambing  (Read 6985 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: First timer lambing
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 01:34:35 pm »
The best thing about lambing is when it's all over.

Ahhh, that's sad, OhLaLa  :bouquet:

For me, I love it, it can last all year if it likes.  By the end of the main cycle of the main flock, I am desperate for sleep, desperate to smell less like ovine birthing fluids (and worse  :o), desperate to be out and about and see what's changed in the countryside beyond our own boundaries... then, after two nights I'm caught up on my sleep again and I want to do it all over again, right NOW!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 04:04:37 pm »
I love it too, it's just by the end and all you've got is a few to go you want to tip them over and shake out the lambs! but i love watching the lambs grow, then the show schedules come in and i get all excited picking the show team and changing my mind a hundred times and driving my hubby mad :sheep:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 06:57:11 pm »
I do love lambing time and the smells too :) - but we've had a bad start as well - or rather a bad few.  Its so sad to see them lurching around the kitchen, wobbling everywhere after being out side and seeing all the 'normal' jumping and running around lambies.  The problem with mollies is that you get so attached as you are with them all the time.  They also require so much of your time meaning you have to hurry yourself around the rest.

I am hoping to have a holiday with 'the boys' towards the end of lambing as they could only get holidays then (not ideal for me) - I am praying that they are all done as I cant find anyone mad enough to work for me ;)

Baz

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 07:50:35 pm »
The best thing about lambing is when it's all over.

Ahhh,sad, OhLaLa  :bouquet:

i know. i love my sheep but since the very first week they arrived they've got themselves into one pickle after another. it's only the beginning of my second year but I've already had sheep stuck on scratching posts (week 1), on their backs (week 2), and since then I have had stillborn, aborted and a 'didn't make it' lamb. Yesterday one ewe jumped the fence and got her back legs caught up - luckily I saw it happen (greedy madam was after next doors food). i've had purple bruises from the ram, and tended to them in all weathers no matter how poorly i might be feeling (that's just part of the job). And i won't even mention the blood tests, ever changing ear tag regulations and paperwork that has to be kept up to date.

i didn't go into this blindly and have spent a lot on proper stock fencing, sturdy field shelters, and I rotate the (good) grazing. They aren't overstocked - it's Sheep Hilton here.

They get their mineral licks, hard feed as necessary, and the guy that sheared them last year commented on how well they looked - not too fat (a lot are he said), just right.

..............And then it's lambing time and my inexperience really shows up. I'm learning. The hard way.

No rose tinted glasses for me (but i guess that's good really).

So, despite the heartache, I have just bought another field auto water trough for them, and i WILL get the sheep barn ready in time for next years lambing so i can have the darned heat lamps at the ready.

Lambing isn't over yet. i have one VERY VERY large ewe who is due anytime...............

:sheep:

Muttley94

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 08:17:58 am »
OhLaLa that's sad but hopefully you will enjoy it next year with no problems :) despite being really new to this and quite nervous incase things go wrong, I am really excited to see what my little ladies will decide to throw at me! I have 2 vets on speed dial now and will be going down to the surgery to ask for advice often. One thing that is worrying me is if one of my sheep get a prolapse, what would be the best thing to do in that situation? (other than phone the vet!)
Pretty new to all this sheep-keeping :) tiny smallholder since October 2011 - 4 ewes, 30+ hens and a Jack Russell :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS