Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first year lambing, first prolapse!  (Read 5529 times)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
first year lambing, first prolapse!
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:53:20 pm »
Went down to check the girls this morning, and sods law, one of the ewes had a prolapse! As this was going to be my first taste of lambing i thought id get 3 older experienced ewes who had lambed easily before and could show me the ropes. Best laid plans and all that! Thankfully the lady i bought them from sent round someone to show me how to put it back in and fit the spoon. I have been amazed at how helpful and patient the genuine sheep people i have met are, esp to a novice like me! I hope the 3 ladies and 1 youngster all deliver ok (despite me), and the dreaded virus thats all around here missed us.Am i right in thinking this ewe is likely to do the same next year now, is there anything i can do to prevent it? Thanks all  ???
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:22:23 pm by thenovice »

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: first year lambing, first prolapse!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:52:00 pm »
Have look a bit further down at my post re prolapses, a few good points in that. I'm told that too much weight on can cause them to prolapse and yes mine will be going as I'm led to believe that it's a recurring problem. Though I'm also sure some will say not.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 04:58:25 am »
I had my first experience of it this year too.  My sheepy Bubbles had one - she had to go to the vets last year cos of a large lamb and I couldnt get it out.  This year she had twins and I thought 'great', generally a bit smaller.  Last week I noticed she had prolapsed so took her straight to the vets.  Had to have a c section - one boy dead within minutes, one girl died two days later - poor old bubbles then passed away the next morning.  :'(

If she had lived - I would have sold her.

Baz

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:29:53 am »
we had an horendous prolapse yesterday, within minutes she had expelled her uterus,bladder etc.the emergency vet was with us 15 minutes later and put the ewe to sleep.Lamb was 4 weeks off full term so not viable.The ewe was condition score 3.first time lamber.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:28:57 am »
Sorry to hear that  :( - from what I've read ewes that prolapse can do it again, and possibly (not sure) pass on that tendency to the offspring?  If one of mine did that I wouldn't breed from it again.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 11:48:52 am »
Sorry to hear that  :( - from what I've read ewes that prolapse can do it again, and possibly (not sure) pass on that tendency to the offspring?  If one of mine did that I wouldn't breed from it again.
Some do some don't personally we just get rid off in the cull lines at market, we would rather not take the chance again but then we have a lot of ewes. It depends how fond you are of them, some would keep and not get her in lamb. As they say the choice is yours :sheep:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 01:55:39 pm »
I'm with feldar; there's a lot of anectodal evidence that they are unlikely to do it again, so if she's a favourite and you want to give her a chance, then do - but keep a watchful eye, of course. 

Commercial folks (which includes us) will mostly take the money for the cast ewe this year and spend it on a replacement.  There's enough things a ewe can think of to cause herself - and you - some problems, without giving her a head start!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 09:35:35 pm »
Hi all,

My last lady is due to lamb anyday - I think...- so far five girls have lamb'd with nine offspring, real pleased so far no real problems they mostly managed on their own.

The last one due is a Herdwick - she has been lying down alot in the last couple of weeks and weeing frequently just a trickle at a time - I'm thinking the lamb maybe lying on her bladder? or could she have cystitus? or both?

Also her vulva is 'slightly bulbous and wobblier' than any of the others have been - I'm concerned that she might be likey to prolapse is there any prior signs that this is likely to happen that I can look for.
You are never to old to learn something new

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 10:32:34 pm »
If you get a chance to view her vulva whilst she is lying down, see if there is anything protruding at all. If all is normal then it's unlikely to be an impending prolapse.
If there is a bulge, then insert a 'spoon' and that should prevent a full on cervical prolapse. The ewe can lamb quite happily around the spoon.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 11:37:29 pm »
Thanks for the advice people  :wave:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 07:01:17 am »
Things will only get better - g'luck :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS