Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lost our ram today :-((  (Read 6317 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Lost our ram today :-((
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 08:49:59 pm »
Sad day  :bouquet: - he was a maginficant beauty. 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 09:07:05 pm »
A peaceful end - do you know how old he was?

Rigg Freddy Blue, my registered three year old, very gentle tup will be for sale this summer, as he has now been doing his duty for two years with me. He is white, with a very slight brown mottling to his legs. His pedigree is on the Shetland Sheep Society's flock book/website.

But I am very attached to him..., so am also considering splitting the flock and using an unrelated tup lamb on Freddy's daughters....

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 09:43:46 pm »
Oh, how sad. So sorry for you. At least he had a very good innings and you were able to give him a swift and dignified end. :bouquet:
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 10:18:03 pm »
Take a pat on the back (and a hug  :'() for looking after him right to the end.  So much kinder than sending him on.  Lovely idea to keep his horns. :bouquet:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 10:55:56 pm »
Good to hear he had a peacefull end without the stress many farmers would have put their tups thru for the few pounds they'd get.
well done

But how did he manage to see the girls beyond those wonderful horns? :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 11:36:04 pm »
What a beauty.  And a lucky boy to have had such a caring home and dignified end.   :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 12:50:12 am »
Nice to have an understanding vet too re: the horns.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 07:25:51 am »
A peaceful end - do you know how old he was?

Rigg Freddy Blue, my registered three year old, very gentle tup will be for sale this summer, as he has now been doing his duty for two years with me. He is white, with a very slight brown mottling to his legs. His pedigree is on the Shetland Sheep Society's flock book/website.

But I am very attached to him..., so am also considering splitting the flock and using an unrelated tup lamb on Freddy's daughters....

He was about nine or ten, so not bad really.

Freddy does sound lovely! I reckon you will split your flock ...:-))))
Im having an op in a month which will put me out of action for two or three months, after that Im going to try and find a paragon like Curly or Freddy (great name!)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 11:19:46 am »
Awwww ........sorry about your lad but it sounds as though he has been much loved. I bet there are lots of rams who wished they could have had a life like him!!

He was very cute.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 12:05:24 pm »
Good to hear he had a peacefull end without the stress many farmers would have put their tups thru for the few pounds they'd get.
well done

But how did he manage to see the girls beyond those wonderful horns? :)

He was very funny, he never appeared to be remotely interested in the girls at all....yet mysteriously :-)) every April there would be twenty or thirty exact Curly replicas all born within a week of each other! All just like him even when the ewe was a coloured Shetland, he certainly stamped his stock :-))))

I wouldnt have sent him to the abbatoir even if that was an option, although I dont think he could have travelled anyway.  I was very happy (if thats the right word) with how he went.

The vet was very good, he actually owned Curly before me so it was actually a bit tough for him too. He offered to do the horns, bless him.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 12:18:07 pm »
He was a fine old gentleman by the looks of it and I hope the happy memories stay with you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS