Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinning..now what?  (Read 8330 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Spinning..now what?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 12:18:10 am »
Hi Mel - if your spinning wheel is too noisy it probably needs a thorough oiling and adjustment - it should be virtually silent. That on its own could explain why your spinning is still thick.  Once oiled the wheel will be much easier to treadle and will go altogether more easily.  After that, oil it every few days, or when you spin after a break.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 07:23:28 am »
And Kromskis are famous for drinking oil.

Carding is noisier than spinning (and I don't like it, even with a drum carder).

I'd buy your batts or get them processed (there are some mini-mills in England that do individual fleeces, might find some there too), oil your wheel and spin while watching telly - that's what I do  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 08:31:01 am »
I'm learning, on an Ashford Traditional loaned by my local Guild, assisted by the Guild once a month and by the occasional visit by a more experienced friend (who spins while chatting as well as while watching TV  ;) :wave:)

Last month's Guild meet included the AGM.  I have had dealings with quite a few organisations over my lifetime, and I have never ever been at an AGM conducted with such good humour, professionally and swiftly getting through the business while the members' wheels quietly hummed...  :D

jaykay's Lendrum is a silent sleek dream to use and I was a bit taken aback by the rather clunky by comparison Ashford.  Then, on jaykay's advice, I got some sewing machine oil and oiled it (found the instructions on the web - you're supposed to use candle wax for some spots, but I used oil everywhere this one time and will dig out a candle for my next maintenance session.)  Ah....  now it moves freely, hardly makes a sound, and is nearly as much a pleasure to use as the Lendrum.

I'm at the thick and rather lumpy stage, too.  If the lambs and calves allow, I shall be at the Guild this weekend, so I am hoping to get to the next level... :)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 04:12:44 pm »
Lendrum - the best ever spinning wheel!!!  I have only ever oiled mine once (OH has some fancy bicycle oil), and it is running a dream....

JK - I bought a drum carder and cannot believe the difference it makes... (especially if you get a keen 8 year old to turn the handle for you...)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 05:12:34 pm »
Certainly a drum carder is better. I just want mine mechanised now, as I lack the keen 8 year old  :D

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 05:39:37 pm »
I have a keen 9 year old, but no drum carder :D - we might be onto something here?!  I'm also a the thick stage and havnt braved plying yet, as much because I keep using it for crafts (gods eys, dream catchers, finger weaving etc) at my forest school sessions.  The children love having a go with the drop spindle, and then having a quantity of similar ready done stuff to use in their creations .  A friend I spin with likes it thick and lumpy so she spins 'in the grease' and uncarded to make wonderful woven wallhangings and rugs.

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 09:37:21 am »
i have experience of working with Ukranians and I certainly do not speak Russian, the language barrier was no problem as you 'speak' visually and over time pick up some words. i ended up teaching someone how to knit without a word being spoken!  Here in Wales I have joined a group that has a lot of welsh speakers just so that I can get used to hearing the language.

Jaykay your carders and drum carder should not be making any noise, or very little, the drum should only JUST touch not embed them selves into each other and same with the carders, you stroke one over the other gently otherwise you will damage the carders and the fleece or what ever you are carding

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 10:27:42 am »
I havn't found a group only lessons in another town (not that local) My friend had an older friend demoing so I might try to make a contact there. Ive found the younger people (40 or less) are quite keen to converse with my broken german and hands. The older people find it quite difficult. They are often very set in their ways, learned Russian as a second language and speak with a thick local accent. My OH, who did german at school and beyond equates it with hearing "Jordie" to a londeners ears!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 11:20:38 am »
So you will soon be fluent in German Geordie  ;D ;D   It will be like when you hear someone from America or Africa or India with a Welsh accent on top of their own.  :D

Whereabouts in Germany are you?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 10:35:06 am »
Our bit of Germany is east of Dresden, on the little bit that forms a tiny triangle pointing down between Poland (half hour drive) and Czech Republic (10 mins drive) We really enjoy nipping over to Poland to the giant french hypermarkets and DIY centres, or the other way for a meal....its quicker and cheaper than driving to the nearest big(ish) town.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS