Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transport of animals (for friends)  (Read 3136 times)

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
Transport of animals (for friends)
« on: February 08, 2012, 12:22:28 pm »
Hi... I have a livestock trailer, 8' with 4' head room so really only good for sheep and pigs. I have a few friends that have asked if I could collect animals from the mart and deliver them etc.

Just wondered if anyone could tell me the legal side of this, or more what I should have in place to do it within the law?

Thanks in advance
Metal Detectorist

robert waddell

Re: Transport of animals (for friends)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 12:30:17 pm »
goods in transit insurance
certificates/licence to cover yourself
trailer that complies with vosa standards
depends on vehicle a tacho and log book
there is a poster on here that does this for a living or part of a living they may contribute :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 12:31:33 pm »
Best people to talk to are Welfare in Transport up at Carlisle. (google them)
I suspect you would have to be licensed as a haulier which is a whole ball park of red tape. It depends if you're going to charge and do it as a regular income thing.
However if said 'friend ' was with you when you collected animal(s) from mart for them and it happens infrequently you're just doing a favour for them (get diesel money), but if you're going doing it 2 or 3times a week or 2 or 3 trips a sale then you'll get pulled up by the PTB.
HTH
mandy  :pig:

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 12:36:41 pm »
Thanks for the info guys and girls... will have a good read and see what I'm in for!!

Cheers  :thumbsup:
Metal Detectorist

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 12:36:58 pm »
From a VOSA point of view then an occasional favour to a friend with no more than a share of diesel money changing hands is probably ok, esp if they are there (ie you are doing it cos they are your friend and they dont have a trailer but you do and you were going anyway). Mirroring the recent changed guidance from VOSA on those offering friends with their horse a lift to shows in their horse box/trailer, this is deemed ok in the circumstances above (it had been a problematic grey area for a long time.)Need to check on insurance implications tho.

But if friend isnt there, or done regularly, or done for so many people that they couldnt all be close friends, or taking more than a share of diesel money....then you would be into hire and reward and you really dont want to go there unless they are very good friends and you have deep pockets and a love for paperwork

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 12:39:53 pm »
From a VOSA point of view then an occasional favour to a friend with no more than a share of diesel money changing hands is probably ok, esp if they are there (ie you are doing it cos they are your friend and they dont have a trailer but you do and you were going anyway). Mirroring the recent changed guidance from VOSA on those offering friends with their horse a lift to shows in their horse box/trailer, this is deemed ok in the circumstances above (it had been a problematic grey area for a long time.)Need to check on insurance implications tho.

But if friend isnt there, or done regularly, or done for so many people that they couldnt all be close friends, or taking more than a share of diesel money....then you would be into hire and reward and you really dont want to go there unless they are very good friends and you have deep pockets and a love for paperwork

Thank you.... luckily a love of paperwork is not one of my strong points!!  :farmer:
Metal Detectorist

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 01:06:24 pm »
also the e aml you have to fill out it asks you the haulier  so you kind of give yourself on an alter to the powers that be    and if stopped you have the paperwork to condemn you anyway :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 04:19:24 pm »
as long as its occasional, for friends who are also present and not done for profit then I see no problem it itself with putting yourself as the haulier. If your trailer is in good condition with working lights, proper and correct number plate and car towing is similarly respectable you are unlikely to be stopped too often.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 12:22:03 am »
Provided your driving license covers you for towing a trailer of the size you have and your insurance covers for a trailer (I dont know any insurance that doesnt cover you for trailers) - there will be no problem as its not for hire or reward.

Baz

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 05:09:53 am »
As others have said as long as there's no sniff of a business venture about it then there's a lot of exemptions from the regulations which should keep you out of trouble.  But step over the line and you're in for a load of costs, exam-taking (different test per breed), working hours regulations and the whole nine years of red tape.

Make sure it's roadworthy and insured, and disinfect the trailer down thoroughly after every journey.  Be aware that there's minimum and maximum space required per animal - too much space is bad if you have to brake hard.  It's in the DEFRA website, somewhere....
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS