Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boo Hoo  (Read 4844 times)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
Re: Boo Hoo
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 02:42:42 pm »
I have lost birds to cats before if hungry enough they will take the birds.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 04:27:14 pm »
We like to have them pecking about and being in the way, looking pretty, hiding their eggs, suddenly turning up with a brood... and have to accept that from time to time we will lose some birds.

Yes, that's our philosophy, but it's still hard when it happens.  We also bought a VSB electric door opener, and I would highly recommend it. It's really the only way for us during the winter, when we can't always be back home before dark. Our henhouse is a converted wendy-house (don't have kids, so this was the best use for it!), with an 'eternit' fake slate for a pop-hole, which is very secure. 

"But the price of them is extortionate!" I hear you say. "£100?  I could buy five pure bred hens for that price, to replace the ones the fox ate last week............ Oh, I see your point."  ::)

One fairly obvious hint though -  if you buy the VSB unit, make sure the light sensor is pointed away from any security lights, otherwise when foxy comes prowling, he will turn on the security light, thus automatically opening the door to the henhouse takeaway.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 07:15:09 pm »
Ha ha! Takeaway - I love it!

Very interesting about the automatic thingy, particularly the tip about sensors, I bet lots of people don't think about that. We've only lost poor little Rumpless, but I'm frightened now that the predator knows they're there we'll lose more.

Fox proof fencing isn't really viable, unfortunately. I know it's the way of things, and predators have to feed their families too. My intention was to have table birds too, but as I've said loads of times I can't do the nasty bit, never mind lose them to a predator. Didn't know about the hedgehogs. I'm losing all my duck eggs to magpies, which I hate. Horrible birds.

Talking of being in the way, my two original LS girls and two ex batts are always in the way. We can't leave a door open or they're in. In the house, in the Land Rover, in visitor's cars, laying in the porch....! Very chatty and sociable. I love my chickens.  :chook:

pierre

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Deep in The Trossachs....
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 10:40:13 am »
Hi Dizzy ....

.... I think you are going to have to bite the bullet ..... and fence ......

... we got so fed up with both foxes and pine martins ..... taking our hens ....

... that we spent the money and fenced the whole plot ...... about 140 metres in all .....

.... we saved some money ... by doing it our-selves .....

Need any help/advice ... give me a shout ...

Cheers
Pete

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS