Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pheasant Recipes  (Read 7795 times)

hartstone

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Midlands
Pheasant Recipes
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:05:03 pm »
Any got an nice recipes for Pheasant, I have skinned the bird.

Thanks

Vince

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
Re: Pheasant Recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:33:27 am »
Slow cooker every time. Just brown the onions and pheasant all over. Put in slow cooker and add your favourite veg and herbs etc. Slosh in a bit of wine and tomato purree. cover and go and do other things for a few hours.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 02:43:31 pm »
Pheasant with Whisky Grapes and Cream - Serves 2
(you can leave out any of the extra ingredients and it will still be quite nice)

Cut off the breasts (you can use the legs to make a casserole with onions and carrots)

When ready to cook soften a little chopt onion in a pan with butter

Add the breasts and brown on either side for about 3-5 mins, add some whisky and flambe if you are feeling brave

Add  about 12 skinned and halved grapes, and some double cream and season with salt and ground black pepper

Cook for another 5 mins

Take from heat, put lid (or plate) over pan, and leave to rest for another 5 mins or so

To serve slice the breast diagonally (like the restaurants do) and pour over the sauce - If the sauce is too thin you can reduce it over a fairly high heat till it looks right

Nice with steamed home grown leeks, and saute or oven cooked potatoes
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:14:29 pm »
The river cottage pheasant satay is really popular in my house!

We also like jerk pheasant with sweet potato wedges. Or the breast meat bashed out a bit, filled with garlic cream cheese and rolled up in smoked bacon ... yum!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 09:00:46 pm »
My last pheasants went into a Spanish casserole with chorizo, and it was simply the best pheasant I have ever eaten! 

Joe11

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 11:39:11 pm »
slow cooker/casserole/stew it just falls off the bone, yum

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 03:19:32 pm »
Just thought I'd add to this as last night I made a lemon and tarragon risotto with griddled pheasant breast marinated in Lemon, garlic and a touch of honey ... it was lovely!  ;D

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 09:01:41 pm »
Wow loosey, are you a professional chef..?!  Sounds great.  :)

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 01:47:38 pm »
hey
a really nice recipes is

take the beasts off make a pocket in each breast and stuff with haggis (or black pudding which ever you prefer)
then pan fry just to  seal the meat really do not wash pan need it later. using tin foil lay one breast on a sheet then bring together leaving air space and put a a cap or two of whiskey into the parcel as well  put in the oven at 180C until the pheasant is cooked around 20-30 mins. take the pheasant out of oven and drain the juices back into the pan used to seal meat. add double cream to these juices and simmer while stirring. serve over pheasant.

has to be one off my favourite dishes 

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 02:44:21 pm »
Garlic, onion, bay leaf, a few peppercorns, 1/3rd of a bottle of red wine, 2 tbs of any curry paste (not sauce). Pints and pints of stock, boil for 2 hours.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS