Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cost of feed  (Read 11594 times)

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Cost of feed
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 05:37:57 pm »
Thanks for your reply Carl, yep these are full size bags and the .50p bit goes to the chap who I had the pigs off so his are even cheaper at £5.00
The £9 bags of which I had one to see me through to when I pick the others up are in fact the most expensive I came across. My new found 'friend' is in a co op and they get all their feed through that for sheep and pigs. I thought I was being a bit cheeky asking him if I could get mine through him but he was only too happy. He's added .50p on to cover him fetching them which I'm only too happy to pay.
I've done a search on the net and found this re storage of pig feeds.
The distribution of oxytetracycline hydrochloride in two batches of 4,000 kg of pig-rearing pellets (400 ppm) was studied. The stability of oxytetracycline in this feed was also determined. The concentration of oxytetracycline in the feed was determined by high pressure liquid chromatography. The premix contained more oxytetracycline (27 per cent) than the proportion stated. The results show that the first 1,000 kg of feed contained less (350 mg/kg) oxytetracycline than the other 7,000 kg (435 mg/kg). After producing 8,000 kg of feed with oxytetracycline, 4,000 kg of feed not containing oxytetracycline was produced. Still, this feed was found to contain 13 mg/kg of oxytetracycline. When the feed was stored for 150 days at a temperature of from 1 to 2 degrees C and again for 270 days at 20 to 25 degrees C, it contained 86.5 per cent of the oxytetracycline present after production of the feed.

There goes that WHOOSH sound again as something goes completely over my head.
I think this may be down to the supplier trying to justify an expensive product.

The reason pig and poultry feed is milled in different mills or different parts of the same mill is due to feed regs dating back to BSE regs. Pig and poultry feed are allowed certain "restricted" proteins such as fishmeal (which is only included if requested). These protein sources are banned in ruminant feeds and to prevent cross contamination all machinery and feeding implements should be kept seperate. If a lorry hauls restricted proteins it has to be thoroughly cleaned out and certified clean.
Feed bins for ruminants should be at leat 1metre(I think) apart.
Pig feed is high in copper as it (as said above) improves lean meas. production. Be careful as to much copper can kill lambs.
Antibiotics are not routinely added to any feeds but some large farms may request a mix with some in (prescribed by a vet) if they have a particular problem. This is done under licence.
Pig feed normally has soya as its main protein source and wheat is the secondary source. This is the main reason for cost. The higher the protein content the more expensive it will be.
Hope this helps

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 06:17:00 pm »
morgan, you had a hunch, correctly guessed old fellow. Gm maize,soya and wheat. back to the old supplier( which I passed anyway). You get what you ay for.
not willing to use gm stuff in my free range friends diet.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 08:06:40 pm »
I was hoping it wasn't....you're a lot like me, I just wont feed them the cheapest, I try and give them the best. Currently theye getting Barley, oats, distillers ,fruit, veg (including the veg that they are rooting from the old garden) and unsalted nuts. They seem to being doing fine on it. I was a touch concerned about the protein, i.e. not having soy, but I was told that they have plenty enough in what they're getting. I am considering egg whites, given the pigs ability to consume albilum. I found this chart on the protein content: 

Eggs                               Protein (g)
Egg, whole raw, 1 large              6.25g
Egg, whole, raw, 1 medium   5.5g
Egg yolk, raw, 1 large              2.78g
Egg white, raw, 1 large              3.51g
Egg, whole, fried                         6.23g
Egg, whole, scrambled              6.76g
Egg, whole, boiled              6.29g
Egg, substitute, liquid, 1/4 cup   7.53g

I am open to criticism, if anyone thinks i'm wrong.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 09:21:24 pm »
I know I will sound a thicko when I ask this .........  but what is 'distillers'
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 08:39:54 am »
That is really useful thanks.  Is there a daily maximum I have a milking sow who is getting 3 eggs a day, would like to increase to 6 if pos.  Any adivce gratefully received.

Btrobe

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 02:54:16 pm »
sausagesandcash - you mentioned chickens when you were talking about seaweed. Would any seaweed do for feeding? I live near the sea but don't know which seaweed to collect and how to feed it to the hens (that's if they would eat it). Does anyone know? any advice would be useful as seaweed seems so beneficial to animals.
Brenda

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 03:42:32 pm »
I'd only go for the professionally prepared stuff...just in case. I don't know how they prepare it, so I can't help i'm afraid, regarding their prep and drying methods.

Sorry

Morgan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS