Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pregnant sheep 'shape'?  (Read 6018 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Pregnant sheep 'shape'?
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:38:46 am »
Our first proper year with sheep so lots of silly newbie questions I'm afraid, please bear with me.

I know what shape a pregnant goat takes on thanks to some wonderful verbal descriptions from my breeder friend and also my own research online and in books.
I was wondering if sheep also take on the 'large bulge on the right hand side' type look as they develop into their pregnancy?  I can see from the farmer across the roads ewes that the ones due to lamb in Feb are very large and their bellies seem quite low.
One of the 2 ewe's we are keeping has a bulge on the right, she is a wiltshireX and her fleece seems less thick and bushy than the one that you all helped me establish is possibly a dorset/lleyn a few days ago  :)  so her tummy is easier to see.

like I say, sorry for daft questions!! If I want to get them scanned (which I do but hubby being grumpy, grrr!) what sort of cost would it be for 2 ewes?  who would I get to do it? I assume not the vet who charges an arm and a leg bless him!!   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Pregnant sheep 'shape'?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:47:57 am »
My scanner charges a minimum £30 if she doesn't have to set up all her equipment. We did all nine in about 20 minutes this morning.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:50:16 am »
That's not a bad price at all - I could sneak that payment out and just say it was wine  ;)   Its a good price for peace of mind and a clear idea of whether we are lambing or not this year, not knowing just feels a bit daft to me...but hubby...well bless him...he likes a surprise (aaaaaaaaaaagh!!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:56:45 am »
I retract that last statement - I have just explained to him WHY I need a scan done (ie. feed etc) and he said "oh if you'd just told me that in the first place.....". so..now to find a scanner in worcestershire...anyone? am off to 'katies' farm in a moment so will be asking you that question too Katie!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:43:18 pm »
It's not always possible to tell if a ewe is in lamb just by looking - depends on the breed, how fleecey and if it's a multiple I suppose.  With our Hebs they look hilarious from the front - pear shaped with tiny stick legs.

We had one ewe who always had a bigger bulge on the right, whether she was in lamb or not....in fact I thought after she appeared with a lamb that she had stolen it as she didn't look any different  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:22:12 pm »
We had one ewe who always had a bigger bulge on the right, whether she was in lamb or not....in fact I thought after she appeared with a lamb that she had stolen it as she didn't look any different  ::)

We've got one like that - this is Juno, who looks like she's got twins in there all year round!

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 01:41:38 pm »
Please don't go by shape, we've had very skinny looking hamps produce twins before now. Its always best to scan or at least raddle your ram so you can mark the date the ewe was served.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 01:48:02 pm »
Please don't go by shape, we've had very skinny looking hamps produce twins before now. Its always best to scan or at least raddle your ram so you can mark the date the ewe was served.
that's the plan now they are mine  ;) unfortunately they were previously owned by a group who were 'unaware' that the ram was entire (despite me saying "he's got a scrotum" several times!) - its been tricky but now I will have these 2 ewes as my own, I intend to look after them properly  :)  just waiting for vet to phone back re scan as we don't appear to have a scanner locally.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 10:38:24 pm »
The shape you describe is typical, yes, but not diagnostic.  Fleecewife, I think we all have one like that!  :D

plums, if you can see any udder development, that would be diagnostic.  Our 'earlies' include some first-timer shearlings, due from 9th Feb, and most are now showing some bag.

I can't remember, plums, what would be your possible lambing dates? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 12:00:55 am »
I'm with sal on this - Id look for it bagging up.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 07:43:54 am »
well the ram was in with the ewes from birth till November 20th. based on this, earliest lambing is February -latest would be into april. 
I can't see any bag as yet though.
I suppose there is a chance they are not pregnant

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS