Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone tried fox repellents?  (Read 7469 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Anyone tried fox repellents?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 09:34:40 am »
We've tried some 'natural' methods - ie. getting all the drunk men here at parties to pee round the fence (when I'm in a good mood I even turn the electric fence off so they can do this  ;)  )   I have had bagfuls of human hair hung in stockings round the coops (helps to have a friend who's a hairdresser)

in 5 years or so, we've only lost 2 hens to the fox which considering they have a den within several feet of our chicken run is very good going!  I put this down to the electric fence, my shutting them in as soon as dusk arrives, a large quantity of wild bunnies in the fields and hubby chasing the old dog fox up the lawn once dressed in nothing but his pants and sporting a rifle  ::)   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 06:51:12 pm »
you can soot urban foxes if you have a licence

the_smallest_smallholding

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 07:51:38 pm »
i shoot foxes for farmers, gamekeepers etc.

with the exception off electric fences, there is no deterrent to foxes other than trapping and then shooting or shooting them.

foxes are creatures of habit and will usually visit at a similar time each night

one trick if you want to know what time he is visiting is to buy a small battery travel alarm clock, attach a chicken carcass or similar as bait, to a peice of string, tie this to a peice of fishing line then wrap this line around the battery, set the time put the battery in the clock and place outside...... the fox will come, take the chicken, pull out the battery and the clock will stop, do this a few times and you will know what time he is visiting

this will help if you have someone who can shoot the fox as it means you wont have to stop up all night waiting for him, just get into position half hour or so before he arrives.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 11:33:06 pm »
Intresting stuff.
We have had no problems since we got birds 9 months back. Our elderly Westie has recently gone down hill and for the last 5 nights could not use the dog flap ( his sister won't go out at night). The Fox came 3 nights ago and took 2 ducks. I was up with the sick dog last night and saw the Fox at 03:00
So - another night on the sofa with the dog and the instruction book " How to Kill a Deer with a Crossbow".  I only have 6 bolts left as the others were fired wide or straight through the target we made and are buried somewhere in the field beyond. I think I may have more chance soaking the Fox with wee than killing it with the crossbow at 03:00 tonight.  Oh - Must turn off electric fence next time aaaaaaaaaaaah
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 10:34:55 am »
The best bait for the fox trap is the innerds of one of the birds (chicken/duck etc).

It throws off a strong scent to attact the fox and for those of you that have seen the leftovers after a fox visit, it's the innards he eats first.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS