Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Catching ducks  (Read 8943 times)

Sandy

Re: Catching ducks
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 12:52:22 pm »
My hubby was getting angry at thier noise and although no neighbour said anything, we felt they may be a bit annoying so they went for a long holiday to a wonderful place, Peel Farm Shop, there the Drake has a lot of ladies to sort out!!! I miss them but not the noise!!!!!

Later in the year I may re consider but we have a few things going on so maybe not!!

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 03:15:06 pm »
We might be one step closer....... Today they ventured (for food) into my very un-sophisticated holding pen, gleefully nicknamed Soweto by my neighbour. Sniff. Now I just need to stop them from escaping when they see me. I need some of that weed barrier stuff tied around it, or something. But eight panicking runners in a confined space worries me a lot, don't want any broken wings. God, chickens are a dawdle compared to this.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 03:26:09 pm »
My runners flap and squawk like mad if I corral them but despit heaping up in a great pile they never hurt themselves or each other  :)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 06:06:37 pm »
I herd mine using a leg crook and a 4 year old - he's fast  ;D
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 06:37:39 pm »

Vikki,
Robert has been put in the bad baby corner for a couple of days for telling the truth as he sees it.  ;D ;D ;D

Sandy

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 06:40:20 pm »
Tell Robert he may have his specs confiscated!!

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 12:43:35 am »
When we had a duck pond in the middle of the enclosure in Cornwall and the ducks would not get out of it to go to their shelter I used a long piece of old hosepipe as a whip on the water behind them to make them get up the ramp onto the land and then two long canes to direct them into their enclosure and house......................
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 01:21:23 pm »
Buy yourself a large fishing net (the type on a handle that kids use to go fishing with to catch tiddlers - except much larger). Just swoop it down over the bird (one at a time) and you've got it. You can gently get it out of the net without harming it.

Sandy

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 05:07:12 pm »
Ducks are cert not as daft as they make out!!

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 06:45:13 pm »
Vikki, you not got these ducks caught yet? as Robert says it would be worth it to come over and see you trying to catch them.  ;) :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 06:57:49 pm »
I must have misread, lill - you must have been writing "and help you trying to catch them"  :&> :&> :&> ;D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2012, 08:17:39 am »
I'm thinking that by this time you are going to need several people and a long length of netting to herd them into a corner and then drop the net over them. Each person select the duck they're going to catch and swoop ;D ;D

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 10:52:03 am »
No, Lillian DEFINITELY meant watch me trying to catch them! Put that man back into his corner immediately.  :P

I might take my camera out with me and record my efforts for you all to ridicule.

robert waddell

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 12:08:56 pm »
i take it they are still eluding capture :farmer:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 06:14:20 pm »
oh vikki, remember they won't run that fast with a broken leg, have you tried a long wire and at the one end make a loop to catch them by the neck, ;) :&> :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS