Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fleece for hand-spinning : hand-shear or machine clippers?  (Read 8644 times)

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
Re: Fleece for hand-spinning : hand-shear or machine clippers?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 02:42:47 pm »
Hi YorkshireLass,

The best shears for small hands are probably Burgon&Ball Redshank shears or no10 Drummer Boy http://www.burgonandball.com/shop/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=80 both would be good.
 Alternatively you could try pulling the shears back meaning that the blade's are bent backwards on the handles thus opening the tips to around 30mm when closed, you then file the stops down to close the tips this will bring the handles closer together when closed which would probably help. Instructions can be found here http://www.fao.org/docrep/v9384e/v9384e11.htm#6.2.1

Hope this isn't too confusing,
Thanks,
Philip :sheep:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 09:14:25 am »
Wow - great clips Philip, thanks and thanks both for rise explanation!

Philip do you do training courses?  You could put one on at my place?!  I have the hand shears , just need the 'rise' and some expertise standing next to me now! 

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 01:26:37 pm »
Hi FiB

I don't do training courses as such. I can teach you but it all depends on how busy I get at the time you are wanting to shear.

I tend to be busiest in May and June but never know what is going to come in, or where. I could possibly fit it in on a quiet day or an evening when I'll have more time to help with the finer details.

Thanks,
Philip  :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS