Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The right breed  (Read 4432 times)

Ed

• Joined Jan 2012
The right breed
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:52:05 pm »
Hi all!

I would love some advice on the best breed of pig for my rented wooded plot. The landowner is concerned that too much rooting will damage the woodland and small grazing area I have. I am looking for 4 weaners to start off with and have around 200m2 available, 50/50 woodland and grass. I am hoping to cure hams and have good eating in general, I have three kids so friendly pigs a must!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: The right breed
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:07:33 pm »
Kune-Kune, of course ;D ;D :pig:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 01:09:53 pm »
Hi Ed,
I have Berkshires which are a nice pig to start off with. Some of mine are in a rented wood and seem to cause very little damage. Mature trees are fine and they wont do them any harm but mine do root up trees that have self seeded but that is what is needed in the woods I have.
The general rule seems to be the longer the snout the more digging they will do.
Pigs are a friendly animal so really it is down to personal choice and we on here are all biased towards our own breeds.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Ed

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 01:24:42 pm »
Thanks! Are Kune Kune good eating?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 01:30:27 pm »
I have Kune-Kune just the 2 but they are a delight to have around. Last time I had the all black and by the time they were ready to go  they were quite rough and would push me over.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:31:03 pm »
Almost all the rare breeds, and crossbreeds !

Would not recommend an iron age (a wild boar cross) if you have kids and not advise Mangalitza for a first timer, otherwsie go for it.

All the rare breeds and crosses of them will be quite happy in your woods.  Prick-eared breeds (eg Tamworth, Berkshire) are more inquisitive than lop eared breeds, but we have had children in with all our pigs, and providing you spend time with the weaners when you get them to tame them down, and teach the children how to greet and treat them, it's a great way to get your kids outdoors, learn about animals, and reconnect to where food comes from. 

As for ruining the woodland, they key here is regular rotation, which means getting your pigs electric fence trained, and then dividing the wood into bits which you move the pigs between.  Many use a radial system, with an ark and water at the centre, and then the pigs have access to bits of it, like a pie chart.  This way parts of the wood can recover.  Electric fencing works well, as don't need to chop down tress to create a straight fenceline, saving work and preserving the wood, just strim a 6 inch wide wiggly path round the trees, and use plastic stakes to follow this with the electric tape.  BUT your pigs must be trained to it first.  our book explains this and lots more in details (other books are available)

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 01:32:58 pm »
Have not got round to the eating yet but I have been told they are lovely.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 02:30:59 pm »
Kune pork is fantastic  :yum: and the pigs themselves are the friendliest, easy to manage pigs you'll come across (my 2 year old plays football with ours) I love 'em and they're definately in my top 3 breeds  ;D
But if you're after bacon & hams they'll take a while to get to that size and I wouldn't think 200m2 would be enough for them as they are mainly grazers (you'd be best with half an acre as a minimum for 4 Kune Kunes) In fact 200m2 will maybe struggle to support 4 standard pigs  ??? Do you mean 20m x 10m ? As if so, I think that's too small for 4, I've never raised weaners in anything less than 20x20 :-\

If the woodland has been recently planted (less than 10 years) any pig has the potential to do damage to the root structure or uproot the trees altogether (even Kunes with their short snouts). Not initially, but certainly by the time they're heading towards slaughter day.

Berkshires would be good (one of mine wasn't very child friendly, but she was very tasty  ;)) I think I'd be looking to the Middle White as a possible contender too. The shorter the nose, the less damage there is from rooting. :thumbsup: And the less densely stocked the area, the less damage will be done.

Hope that helps,
Karen  :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 02:32:37 pm »
our pigs dont tend to root between the trees too much but turned all the grassland. we have tamworth and GOS.
what about middle whites? i cudnt imagine they root too much with their short snouts and there pork is supposed to be very good. plus if u get them spring/summer when the ground is firmer they wont do as much damage to the ground as keeping them in the winter.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:50:10 am »
karen surely 200m2 is a mistake, if as Ed says its 50/50 that would be a front lawn and 3 trees :D
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 11:32:58 am »
karen surely 200m2 is a mistake, if as Ed says its 50/50 that would be a front lawn and 3 trees :D
Hope so BB, that's why I had to question it  :-\

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 11:41:35 am »
Gloucester Old Spots every time, they are fab with kids and gilts will give you some fabulous hams as well as bacon etc.., Have also had Saddlebacks before nice breed but at a certain age had to stop kids going in with them they did get a bit bolshy.  It is hard to answer a question like this because everybody loves them all but has there own favourites.

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 06:45:50 pm »
200 square meters made up of 50% grass and50% trees   it seams a bit small for 4 weaners to finishing and will definitely get trashed :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS