Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep housing  (Read 7348 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Sheep housing
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 02:56:32 pm »
I'm still very much a novice but can tell you how i've set it all up so far - it's always being added to:

Each field (minimum 3 fields so the grass has a chance to rest) fenced with sheep stock fencing. Each field has a sturdy wooden sheep shelter. Site the shelters so that the sheep can use all sides as protection from the elements from outside too, eg, not in a corner. If you can make them large enough to use as lambing sheds, so much the better.

Get some metal hurdles as per the photo posted by feldar, these are easily moveable and i wouldn't be without them. If lambing early (when the weather is cold) i prefer to put the ewe which is about to lamb inside into a large pen so i can make sure she is out of the elements and can pair up with her lamb/s once born. Also if there is a problem (!) they are penned making it easier to attend to them.

Water: I have small autowater troughs. The sheep don't appear to drink much so smaller is better to help it remain fresher. Clean the trough out regularly.

If you have a barn/building which goes out straight onto a field use that as your lambing shed. This is where the hurdles will come in handy. Make sure this building is light and airy and has electricity and water (mine is still work in progress). If you can, put CCTV in there, then you can check them frequently from the comfort of your armchair. And if you miss a lamb being born it will record, so you can play it back and not miss a thing. This is also good to observe how a ewe reacts and then you'll know what to look for when they are out in the field.

Books - get some and make sure you read them.

Courses - sadly none anywhere near me or i'd have done several by now - if you can, get yourself on one.

Best wishes.

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 05:08:46 pm »
Thanks for all the great advice. I'm nervous already but hopefuly have a course lined up thanks to CSSA and think I will book annual leave! xxx

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 06:07:19 pm »
Be interested to hear how you get on with the lamb cam.  I've always assumed my awkward crowd would manage to get in the corner, rear end facing away, and I'd have to go out and investigate anyway  :D When do you start lambing?

They're all due in march. We'll aim to get them all into the paddock next to the house first, then the first due will go under cover.  I think it probably needs about 3 cameras to cover everywhere though.  Ours do tend to do the staring at the moon stuff which helps.  Bearing in mind another thread all ours have been born late afternoon or early evening.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS