Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eggs! not Spring yet?!  (Read 2842 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Eggs! not Spring yet?!
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:18:25 pm »
Out of all the different breeds of hens we have, the only ones who have laid consistently through the winter have been the Warrens, hatched at Easter 2011

we were surprised in November by a couple of occassional eggs from Mrs Light Sussex, who went broody in the late summer & fostered a clutch of RIR eggs - they are still with her, cockerel youth hopefully going to his new home tomorrow.

This week, the other 2 Light Sussex's have decided to start laying!

Surely this is a sign that Spring is on it's way!  :thumbsup:
Little Blue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Eggs! not Spring yet?!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:55:40 pm »
Pleeeeease  ;D

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 11:30:13 pm »
We're inundated with eggs here! Our youngsters all started laying practically the same week a bout a fortnight before christmas. We went from 1 or 2 bantam eggs a day to about 7 eggs every day!! ;D
We got one today that was 116 grams!!! :o Ouch!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 08:23:18 am »
I rely on my dear old ducks to keep us in eggs during the winter, they stopped a couple of weeks ago and the pullets have taken over. Yhey are giving us between four and seven a day. Another couple of weeks and I shall be able to put out the lovely eggs for sale box that DJChook made for me :chook: :chook:

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 10:20:52 am »
Ours have gone down to about a quarter production but in general we are still getting half a dozen eggs a day which is still more than we can cope with :-)

The bantams stop completely though in about October and start again in late Feb - they are so lazy :-)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 11:43:21 am »
I'm quite surprised that I've not had a complete stop of either hens or ducks, maybe an odd day where they let me down. And I was so well prpared with a good backlog and frozen eggs from before Christmas! Global warming must have arrived here although it's a very chilly wind!  :&>

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 01:34:50 pm »
Our young Black Rocks didn't stop altogether - the old girls did but they were moulting too. The BRs are now hitting their stride  ;D

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 01:51:06 pm »
The weather really does have a lot to answer for, last winter was horribly everywhere the whole of the UK came to holt with snow now this year we have had all weather hail stones the size of grapes not much snow here in the SW a little sprinkle on the Mendips, but my god have we had our fare share of rain, rain, rain and more rain though temperature's really mild.

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 10:07:02 pm »
my 23 brown hybrids have been laying consistently all winter, but my last years hatch haven't started yet, theywere late to hatch. i'm SO excited aboout getting the first eggs from my own hatched chooks

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 10:26:18 pm »
We also hatched our own chicks last July (although only 3 -1 of those a hen) She has yet to start laying and our other 5 hens have been dreadful this winter! They're not even two years old yet & we're only getting 1 egg a day- if we're lucky! I don't think they're enjoying the amorous attentions of the cockerels! They won't have to put up with that for much longer now. Hopefully we can return to some decent egg production!  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS