Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: small square hay bailer  (Read 7274 times)

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
small square hay bailer
« on: June 08, 2013, 09:08:21 pm »
Hi there all

we cut for hay last year with a dairy farmer and split the crop, this year I am not sure that will work as we are starting to need more, and the bails are 500kg, I would rather have the little bails as easier to move around here. so I am looking for a small square bailer, I am not sure where to start.

I think I was thinking I could get the field cut and flipped and lined up buy someone here and possibly buy or hire a wee bailer. I don't have a tractor! but do have  landrover,
if that's any help,

anybody got any ideas?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: small square hay bailer
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 09:19:42 pm »

:wave: hi
Whereabouts are you?

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 09:24:34 pm »
north west france

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:26:38 pm »
Wow! It's almost worth popping over  :innocent:
Don't think our baler will make it that far though  ::)

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 09:51:52 pm »
yep i can imagine, thanks for the reply though,
by the way what sort of bailer would you recommend we should look out for, density etc..?
I do see them come up second hand here but there nearly always v'old and down south,
ie south France. and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for?
got any words of wisdom?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:57:34 pm »
Sorry cant help there, hubby is the mechanic I just drive the thing!
Ours is an international 440, it's old but he keeps it going

Julestools

• Joined Mar 2013
  • In my shed
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 01:11:19 pm »
It's not the make or model of baler that's important but how it's been looked after... If you can afford it a Welger baler is probably the best. I've worked on all of them from Bamford to Welger No good without a tractor though. The best bet would be to find a local contractor or farmer to bale the hay for you

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 10:00:27 pm »
thanks yep that's good advice I will look about locally, I think though most folk will
be  shoving about 500kg on hydrolick forks belonging to an 80 grand tracker, and in that
situation there is no room for me to take the hay to the animal easily, which would be a problem for me. There are only so many favors. I looked at the balers 7000 plus? that would be out of the question at the moment so if i were looking for the second hand bargen of the century, what would I be looking for? 500 and lower say, I have seen them here old for 300euro is that likely to be a black hole to repare?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 11:37:19 pm »
In the UK it would be about £800 ish for any working old square baler. Ours is a new holland 276 'superhayliner' (ha!) those are probably the most numerous.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 02:07:31 pm »
Here is a copy of something i wrote in a previous post, if you havent got a tractor i think your away from baling your own hay.  Id suggest a turner first

Have a read of the 'making hay' post from february    ish

My suggestion would be as follows:

For year one:

You only mow the field once, you only bale the field once... so get your local friendly farmer contractor/ vintage enthusiast to do it.

You have to turn the hay 2-3 times a day for about a week, then row up.,  When the weather window arrives everyone is using their turners and dont want to lend them (i speak from bitter experience)--so buy a haybob, with £600 in your pocket you should easily find a good one. You can get some one to mow then spend the next week turning it yourself.

Buy a trailer for the fergy, you want a 3ton one, then you can start carting as soon as the baler man gets going.

Once youve done a year (or 2) youll have experience and can decide on further investment, mowers balers a bigger tractor etc.  ---If you change your mind youll always get your money back on the haybob, and trailers are simply invaluable all year round.

Hope my thoughts are of help any questions dont hesitate.  I got a baler and a mower first and soon realised its the turner you really need !

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 11:21:43 pm »
Hae thanks that is really good advice, actually I have a trailer 2.7 ton for the landR
as it is, as you say essential, so in terms of investment, maybe a hayturner is a better line to look down and as the cut and bail is quick in comparison, thanks I'll ponder that.

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 05:47:35 pm »
Hi Wonderwooly,

I'm no mechanic, but did look into this when I first had the same thoughts as you about using a landy on the small holding.

Depending on which landy you have, it might be technically possible to adapt it with a rear pto (noticed that hole in the rear cross member?) and three point linkage. However, I've been searching for a rear pto transfer box for my series 2a for two years and haven't found one yet. Front pto is more common for some reason.

I think for newer landys the cost of adding pto to the transfer box makes it cheaper to buy an old tractor!

Julestools

• Joined Mar 2013
  • In my shed
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 06:42:56 pm »
We used to fit PTOs to Landrovers in the late 80s for driving powered gang mowers. The standard SVO kits were shaft driven off the gearbox ang gave 540 RPM at the PTO in fourth gear at 7 MPH... The gearing could be changed but would never be capable of driving a baler. Older balers (very old) were sometimes fitted with a drawbar mounted engine and so a PTO was not required. Our old Massey baler had an Armstrong Siddley diesel engine driving the flywheel but it was destroyed by fire in 1966

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS